IT Game Design & Development
What can I do with my course in IT game design & development?
Careers in IT game design & development
As a graduate of information technology in game design and development, you may work in the areas of game development and design or the creation and production of computer or video games. You will likely work with artists, animators, audio specialists, programmers, producers and marketing professionals in specialist game platforms or a particular aspect of game development.
IT graduates in game design & development may perform the following tasks:
- Maintaining knowledge and skills by playing / testing different genre games across various consoles
- Creating games, game prototypes or modes of existing games
- Working in teams to find workable solutions to problems in game development
- Continually providing creative input as well as taking direction
- Working to deadlines, multi-tasking, and prioritising
- Attending industry gaming events
Skills and attributes
Key skills that IT game design & development graduates demonstrate are:
- High level analytical skills
- Investigation techniques
- Problem-solving skills
- Development skills
- Technical skills
- General interpersonal skills
- The ability to communicate efficiently in both technical and plain language
Related occupations include:
- Game designer
- Game developer
- Game programmer
- Project manager
- Component integrator
- Multimedia system designer / developer
- Multimedia system designer / consultant
- Network developer
- Network manager
- Multimedia developer
- Project manager
Salary and job outlook
You can learn more about salaries and job outcomes for IT graduates at Graduate Careers Australia.
Look at industry trends and employment prospects by visiting Australian Government Job Outlook.
Professional associations are an invaluable connection to industry information, networking and professional development opportunities. Most offer student membership discounts. Follow the link to search for professional associations related to your course.