What can I do with my course in Software Development?
Careers in Software Development
Software Development focuses on the hardware required to run applications, along with knowledge of the programming and software engineering required to develop complex software, database and networking solutions.
IT software development graduates may perform the following tasks:
- Reviewing current IT systems
- Presenting ideas and proposals for system improvements
- Producing detailed specifications and writing programme codes
- Testing and maintaining systems
- Taking part in design, programming or project development
- Installation, configuration, customisation, integration, and data migration
- Feasibility and cost benefit analysis
- Writing and preparing user documentation
- Participation in software releases and post release activities
Skills and attributes
Key skills that Software development graduates demonstrate are:
- High level analytical skills
- Investigation techniques
- Problem-solving strategies
- Development skills
- Technical skills
- General interpersonal skills
- The ability to communicate efficiently in both technical and plain language
Related occupations include:
- Systems programming
- Software development
- Database and web designer
- Data communications
- Maintenance of computer systems
- Development of information systems
- Object-oriented and procedural programmer
- Network manager
- Component integrator
- Project manager
- System analyst
Some related roles may require further study or experience. Descriptions of occupations, industry career profile, salary and other employment information can be obtained from the My future website.
Salary and job outlook
You can learn more about salaries and job outcomes for IT graduates at Graduate Careers Australia.
Look at industry trends and employment prospects by visiting Australian Government Job Outlook.
Professional associations are an invaluable connection to industry information, networking and professional development opportunities. Most offer student membership discounts. Follow the link to search for professional associations related to your course.