What can I do with my course in sport coaching?
Careers in sport coaching
As sports coach you teach individuals and sporting teams how to improve the way they play and practice their sport by analysing their performances, instructing them in relevant skills, providing motivation and enhancing their capabilities. Your responsibilities may include:
- Observing individual performances to determine the level of instruction required
- Teaching techniques for players to acquire additional skills or improve existing skills
- Planning training programs
- Supervising the physical development of athletes
- Analysing the progress of games or competitions, and give signals and instructions to players
- Carrying out after-competition analysis of performance and evaluate strategy and performance
Skills and attributes
You will need to demonstrate the following skills and attributes to gain employment in sport coaching:
- Organising and planning skills
- Analytical skills
- Communication skills for individual and group consultations
- Ability to provide feedback and instructions
- Ability to work in a multidisciplinary team setting
- Good interpersonal skills
- High attention to detail
Related roles include:
- Recreational Officer
- High Performance Manager
- Fitness Instructor
- Sports Development Officer
Salary and job outlook
You can learn more about graduate salaries and graduates job outcomes for sports coaches at Graduate Careers Australia.
Look at industry trends and employment prospects by visiting Australian Government Job Outlook.
Professional associations are an invaluable connection to industry information, networking and professional development opportunities. Most offer student membership discounts. Follow the link to search for professional associations related to your course.