A balanced graduate
The balanced graduate – what are employers looking for?
Are you wondering how employers differentiate between thousands of applications for a graduate position? Employers are looking for the 'balanced graduate' – someone who has been able to achieve in many areas of their life, not only in their studies.
To show that you are a balanced graduate your resume should include:
- Highlight awards, scholarships and academic achievements
- Studies most relevant to the job you are applying for
- Team based activities such as clubs, societies, and committees
- Leadership activities such as supervisory responsibilities or strategic roles in groups (e.g. committee secretary)
- International travel and study abroad demonstrating your global perspective
Relevant work experience
- Work experience and internships relevant to the employer or role
- Volunteering which is highly regarded by most employers
Employers want to see links between your career goal and your studies, personal development and relevant experience.