Information for supervisors
The Deakin Internship Scheme places current Deakin students who are eligible to complete an Internship unit (in the same trimester as the Internship) within an area of the University to gain practical work experience.
Over the course of the trimester, the student spends 1 - 2 days per week (for 100 – 120 hours) in the office completing a specific project/s, task/s or operational activities.
The student is guided by a supervisor and buddy from your area.
- The Internship is recognised as a unit of study and contributes to the student's degree
- It provides an opportunity to EXPERIENCE a real workplace, apply theory and gain new skills
- It enables a more Worldly employment perspective and the possibility for further employment
- It gives you access to a current student's experience, challenges and perspective
- Adds an additional resource to assist with a specific project, task, research assignment or activity
- Assists to identify talent for upcoming vacancies and/or build a talent pool
- It provides development opportunities within your area to supervise the Intern
If you're interested in taking on an Intern, please contact Sonia Wu, HR Coordinator (Employee Capability and Development), phone 522 78044.
HRD to call for Internship projects on Staff News
FIOA complete the project plan template (project template) and sends this to the HRD
HRD advertises the Internship on JobShop (upon receipt of your project plan)
22nd Jan – 6th Feb
HRD forwards applications to FIOA for short-listing.
Completed by 11th Feb
FIOA organises and undertakes interviews with short-listed students
Completed by 20th Feb
FIOA selects the student and notifies HRD
Completed by 23rd Feb
FIOA contacts the student to confirm their start and end date (exact dates are required for the application form: 100 – 120 hours) and asks that the student completes a visitor form
Completed by 24th Feb
The student works with their Faculty to finalise enrolment
Needs to be completed before start date
FIOA organises for the visitor form to be processed and IT access to be created
Completed by 5th March
The student commences their Internship
Week commencing 9th March
FIOA ensures the Intern receives induction
Week commencing 9th March (student's first day of Internship)
FIOA regularly catches up with the Intern throughout the Internship
Ongoing during the Internship
The Intern completes their assigned tasks (over the trimester, 1 - 2 days a week for 100 - 120 hours, determined by you and the Intern) and the unit assignments (in their own time)
Ongoing during the Internship
|The Internship concludes (any changes to end dates must be advised to the Faculty as soon as they are known as this affects assignment due dates)||On the agreed end date (after completion of 100 – 120 hours).|
- Students must be eligible to enrol in an Internship unit/subject to complete the Internship. These are done in tandem. Eligibility cannot be guaranteed until enrolment, i.e. preliminary eligibility checks will be conducted at the outset, but should an issue arise with enrolment, the student may need to withdraw.
- Not all project plans will be approved. The project must be relevant and suitable for an Internship i.e. relates to the student's course of study.
- You must plan for the successful Intern's start and end dates with them prior to their commencement. This is necessary to complete their Internship Unit Enrolment Application form. This can be done after the selection interview.