Doctoral Partnerships Scheme FAQs
Doctoral Partnerships Scheme students include DIRI (Deakin Indian Research Initiative), TERI (The Energy Research Institute) and other international In-Country students.
- Discuss your travel plans with your supervisor (at least six months prior to your intended departure date)
- Complete the In-Country Travel Approval Form (once your dates have been agreed with supervisor)
- Send the completed form to the Research Support Coordinator (Indian students send to Deakin Indian Office)
- Apply for your visa (it is your responsibility to cover the costs of your passport, visa and any medicals)
- Book your economy return airfare once the visa has been approved (arrange arrival in Australia between Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm)
- Send airfare details to the Research Support Coordinator
- Arrange to send any samples to Australia (these should not be carried on the plane with you)
- Open a bank account and obtain a SIM and Deakin student ID (either the Research Support Coordinator or a student Buddy will meet and assist you)
- Meet your supervisor (the Research Support Coordinator or Buddy will arrange for you to meet up with your supervisor)
- Request reimbursement of airfare (via the internal Deakin process)
- Contact the Research Support Coordinator to assist with your return airfare and airport transfers (one month prior to your departure from Australia)
You will receive a letter of Invitation and Electronic Certificate of Enrolment (from the Research Support Coordinator)
You will be collected from the airport and taken to your campus (the Research Support Coordinator will arrange your airport transfers and accommodation while in Australia)
You must submit the forms six months prior to your planned departure date.
You are required to arrange and apply for your student visa. Deakin will provide relevant supporting documentation.
It is your responsibility to pay for all costs associated with obtaining a visa.
You are required to arrange and apply for your passport.
It is your responsibility to pay for all costs associated with obtaining a passport.
Deakin will arrange for and fund your single overseas health cover for the duration of your stay.
You are required to arrange and pay for all costs associated with obtaining a medical assessment.
Upon your arrival in Australia, Deakin will arrange to reimburse the costs of obtaining your airfare. Please note that a reimbursement will only be awarded for a single economy airfare to a maximum of $1000 (one-way) or $2000 for a return flight.
It is your responsibility to book a single economy airfare to Australia. We encourage you to book a return flight to reduce costs.
Deakin will arrange transfers from the airport to the Deakin campus where you will be studying.
Deakin will arrange suitable accommodation for your stay in Australia.
Please note you must have already enrolled online before you can get your ID Card.
If on campus in Australia – You need to visit Deakin Central to obtain your card. You will have your photograph taken and your card will be printed while you wait. No charges apply.
Please bring with you: some form of photo ID such as a passport or driver's licence and your student/staff ID number.
If off campus in India – Send a photo (jpeg image, similar to passport – maximum pixel height and width: 1024 x 1024, maximum file size: 256kb) along with a copy of a form of ID you have that includes a photo e.g. passport or drivers licence to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Instructions on how to reset your Deakin password can be found on our usernames and passwords page.
Instructions on how to forward your email can be found on our email and calendars page.
Deakin Australia contacts
Deakin India contacts