Current research scholarship holders FAQs

I'm a current HDR student, what scholarships are available to me? 

If you are a current HDR student you can apply for APA/DUPR scholarship. There may also be other scholarships you can apply for, please check our research scholarship website.


How do I access my payslips?

To access your fortnightly payslips use your current staff username and password to log into DeakinPeople.

DeakinPeople can be accessed via the ‘staff’ box at the top right hand corner of the Deakin homepage and clicking on ‘Log in to DeakinSync’, then clicking on DeakinPeople.

  1. Clicking on ‘Main menu’ on the top left hand side of the screen.
  2. Select ‘My HR’ and then ‘Payroll and Compensation’.
  3. Select ‘View Payslips’.
  4. Click on the relevant payment date (the latest payslip will appear at the top of the list).

Why have my scholarship payments changed or suddenly stopped?

Scholarship payments will automatically stop

  • when you are on intermission.
  • when your scholarship reaches the expiry date.
  • two weeks after the submission of your thesis.

You should immediately report any unexplained changes to your scholarship payments to the Research Scholarships Office.

Am I allowed to work whilst receiving a scholarship?

Students are allowed to undertake less than an average of 6 hours per week part-time employment whilst receiving a scholarship, provided the work does not interfere with the progress of your research program. Approval must be sought for periods of part-time work amounting to the average of more than 6 hours per week.

The Head of School must certify that the work does not interfere with the progress of the research and the statement must be lodged with Deakin Research.

What happens to my scholarship if I submit my thesis for examination earlier than my scholarship expiry date?

Scholarship payments will be terminated two weeks after the submission date of your thesis.

Will I receive a payment summary from the University at the end of the financial year for my research scholarship payments?

Full-time research scholarships holders will not receive a payment summary at the end of each financial year as scholarship payments are non-taxable.

Making claims

Can I claim extended sick leave/maternity/paternity leave from my scholarship and how do I make a claim?

Most scholarship holders are entitled to 10 days paid sick leave per annum within the tenure of the award. This leave must be approved by your supervisor. It does not need to be reported to the Research Scholarships Office.

Most scholarships also provide paid extended sick leave, maternity and paternity leave. However, before making a claim you should check your scholarship terms and conditions. To make a claim, awardees must  apply for intermission of candidature. Medical certificates should be uploaded with the application.

How do I claim my relocation reimbursement?

To check if your are eligible and/or to make a relocation reimbursement claim, contact the Research Scholarships Office.

How do I update my mailing address?

If you have changed your mailing address, your details need to be updated on StudentConnect. You will also need to update your DeakinPeople account by selecting 'My HR' from the main menu and then selecting 'Personal Information'.

If you are an international student it has to be done within 7 days as this is a requirement of your student visa.

Scholarship and personal details changes

I am an international student. What happens to my scholarship if I become permanent resident?

Normally your scholarship will not change if you become a permanent resident, however you need to immediately contact the Research Scholarships Office and notify the change in your residency status.

How do I apply to intermit or extend my scholarship?

Applications to intermit or extend your scholarship are made via the HDR online forms.

 If I change to part-time or off-campus studies, what will happen to my scholarship?

Every change of candidature application and related scholarship is assessed on a case-by-case basis.  For further advice on this contact the Research Scholarships Office.

How do I change my banking details?

You should update your banking details via DeakinPeople by selecting 'My HR' from the main menu and then selecting 'Payroll and Compensation'.

Page custodian: Deakin Research
Last updated: