Domestic and Family Violence
Deakin recognises staff and students may experience situations of domestic and family violence that may impact upon their attendance or performance at work or on their studies.
For staff needing to access domestic and family violence leave please refer to the policy and procedure and email email@example.com.
Signs of Domestic & Family Violence
For many reasons it can be difficult for someone to recognise the signs of domestic and family violence.
Domestic and family violence is any behaviour that causes physical, sexual or emotional damage or causes someone to live in fear. The non-physical forms of abuse can be just as damaging as sexual and physical violence. If someone feels disrespected, unable to be themselves, afraid to disagree or negotiate for what they want, this may be a sign of abuse.
Responding to disclosures of domestic family violence
Safer Community staff are trained to provide members of the Deakin University community with advice, information and referrals regarding family violence. The Safer Community Service can assist in advice and information on increased personal safety
- Advice and information on increased personal safety
- Information regarding applications for a personal safety orders (Intervention orders) through police or direct applications to a Magistrates’ Court
- Referrals regarding crisis payments to assist with immediate financial concerns
- Referrals for emergency accommodation advice
- Referrals to free legal services
- Safer Community staff can provide phone and email advice, as well as in person appointments.
- We provide information and advice regarding university supports, workplace and academic accommodations, as well as information and referrals to external agencies (such as courts, police, counselling, legal services and housing).
- We can provide strategies on improving personal safety and develop safety plans
- Our service aims to empower the person impacted by D&FV to make informed choices and decisions with consideration to their circumstances.
- If you require urgent assistance call police on 000
- Safe Steps - Family Violence Response Centre
If immediate assistance is required on campus call Deakin University Security on ph:1800 062 579 and state your location or use the SafeZone App.
If immediate assistance is required off campus dial 000 and ask for police.