Information for Partners

Are you celebrating news of a new addition to your family? Or are you in the early stages of thinking about growing your family?

At Deakin University, we recognise that parenting is often a shared responsibility, so below you will find all the information you need on your entitlements, responsibilities and the support services available to working parents at Deakin.

What is my partner leave entitlement?

If you are a continuing or fixed term staff member, and a spouse or de facto partner of a female who is pregnant you will be entitled to 10 days of paternity (paid partner) leave.

When can I commence paid partner leave?

Your entitlement to paid partner leave must be taken within 3 months of the date of birth of the child. Paid partner leave does not have to be continuous/taken consecutively.

How can I apply for paid partner leave?

A staff member can apply for paid partner leave via DeakinPeople in the same manner as other types of leave (e.g. recreation leave). The paid partner leave will need to be approved by your supervisor in DeakinPeople upon presentation of a certificate of birth or a medical certificate indicating the expected date of birth.

Where can I find more information on Deakin's paid partner leave entitlements?

Clause 38.12 of Deakin's Enterprise Agreement 2013 contains further detailed information. Policies and procedures on partner leave are also available on The Guide.

What support services are available to parents?

There are various flexible work options and family friendly leave options available to assist you in managing your family and work responsibilities.

Deakin also provides an on-campus child care service for staff members as well as a number of parent rooms.

The Employee Assistance Program is a free counselling service which provides confidential, short-term, professional, voluntary and free counselling by qualified external providers/counsellors (social workers or psychologists) for all Deakin staff members.

Need more information? Contact your HR Adviser.

Page custodian: Human Resources Division
Last updated: