If you have just started university or are returning to study after a long break there is often a lot to take in. Start by checking out Get Ready - here you will find valuable information for new students transitioning to university. Next browse through the resources here to find links to essential study support resources and programs for new Deakin students.
UniStart is a self-access CloudDeakin resource for new and returning students. Visit UniStart to learn about Deakin's online tools, assignments and referencing. It's also a place where you can connect with students and a whole range of Deakin support services.
- All students are automatically enrolled - find UniStart in your list of CloudDeakin sites.
- Or log in to DeakinSync. UniStart is under Course Sites.
- For more information watch our UniStart video.
Note: Deakin staff members please contact CloudDeakin support to access UniStart.
Online sessions in UniStart
UniStart drop-in sessions are via Bb Collaborate and are staffed by Writing Mentors and Language and Learning Advisers. Sessions times during each trimester:
- O Week to Week 1 : Mondays 11am - 11.30am & Wednesdays 2pm - 2.30pm.
- Week 2 to Week 9 : Wednesdays 2pm - 2.30pm.
You will find the link to the online sessions on the UniStart home page.
Introduction to studying at University workshop
The Introduction to studying at university workshops run during orientation week each trimester and provide information and advice on study skills. Suitable for both undergraduate and postgraduate students. Attend campus or cloud (online) workshops. We use Lync software for our cloud(online) session.
1. Register for a campus or cloud (online) workshop. Session times are listed on the registration page.
2. To access a cloud (online) workshop, join the cloud session below. Please only attend the session that you have registered for. You will need to enter your Deakin student email and password.
- Join cloud session now
- If you have any issues joining the cloud session please see the Lync for students wiki.
- If you are still having problems please contact IT support.
- If you can't make it, download the workshop presentation.
iDeaL is an online tool which you can use to find out which language and communication skills services at Deakin are most relevant to your needs. It is recommended that all new students complete iDeaL in their first week of study.
Talk to a student mentor
Where can you get reliable information about uni from a student perspective? There are a number of peer mentor programs at Deakin to get you off to a good start at uni.