Applying for a new student visa

Students renewing their visas should refer to the Department of Home Affairs for up-to-date and complete information. If you have specific questions about your student visa, you may also seek assistance from a Compliance Officer.

Please be aware of your visa assessment level and the requirements (including financial requirements) for your country.

How to apply for your new student visa

Students do not "renew" their student visa. Before your current student visa expires, you will need to apply for a new student visa. Each application for a visa is considered to be a new application and is processed on its individual merits.

We recommend that you start collecting the relevant documents and making the necessary appointments required for the visa-renewal process at least 4-6 weeks BEFORE your student visa expires.

Deakin University encourages all students to apply for their visa renewal ONSHORE in Australia. Applying from offshore locations may result in delays and prevent you from returning to Australia in time to commence your studies.

Step 1 Information about applying for a new student visa can be found on the Department of Home Affairs' website. This page gives you some very useful information about your visa and its expiry date. It is very important that you are aware of your visa expiry date and that you apply for a new visa before your current visa expires. For further information, please go to the Department's "Extending Your Stay" page.
Step 2 Download a Visa Application Document Checklist. This checklist gives you information about the supporting documentation you are required to lodge with your student visa application. It also lists additional documents that you may need to provide depending on your individual circumstances.
Step 3

Apply for a new CoE (if you don't already have a valid CoE)

It is important that you lodge this form at least 10 working days before you need to use your new CoE. Your application for a new CoE will take approximately 10 working days to process.

We strongly recommend that you read the information about applying for a CoE before completing the form.

Step 4 Renew your Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) if necessary. OSHC needs to be valid until the end of your course.

Please contact your OSHC provider for assistance with renewing your cover.

Phone: 1800 888 942 or 0061 2 9461 3850 (if you are outside Australia)

Phone: 136 742

Phone:  132 331 or 0061 3 8622 5780 (if you are outside Australia)

Step 5 Once you have lodged your application for a new CoE, Deakin Central will issue you with the new CoE you need to renew your visa.


*This may take up to 10 working days from the date you submitted your application
Step 6 Your new CoE will be emailed to you.

Important note: You should lodge your visa application within 45 days of the date your CoE is issued, otherwise it will expire and you will not be able to use it. Also make sure that you lodge your visa application BEFORE the course start date listed on your CoE. Deakin will not issue a new CoE if you fail to lodge your application in time.

Step 7

Lodge your visa application online or by post.  Students are encouraged to lodge their visa applications online. You can also lodge your visa application by post or in person at your nearest Department of Home Affairs office.

We strongly recommend that you lodge your visa application onshore in Australia. Lodging an application overseas may result in delays that prevent you returning on time.

Important things to note:

a)  Complete applications: ensure that your application is complete. If you lodge an incomplete application, your visa may be refused.

b)  Passport details: Your visa will be linked to the passport number you use in your application. You must use the same passport to travel to and from Australia. Your passport should be valid for at least 6 months at the time you lodge your visa application.

c)  Application charge: You will be required to pay a non-refundable application charge. Use the visa pricing calculator to estimate the amount your visa will cost you.

d)  Other costs. There may be other costs associated with applying for a new visa. These may include translating documents in to English (if required) and any medical examinations you need. Your visa medicals are not covered under your OSHC. If requested, you may have to provide a Police check. The cost of the Police check will be your responsibility.

Step 8

Read the information about the health process for visa applicants before you lodge your visa application. This will advise you about the process of obtaining a medical for visa purposes.
If a health examination is required, book an appointment for a medical examination and X-Ray with Medibank Health Solutions.

If you need to make an appointment with Medibank Health Solutions, follow these steps:

a) Download and complete the "My Health Declaration" Department of Home Affairs form required for a medical examination. Print out the completed for. This is your 'referral letter". You will need this letter, which includes a HAP ID number, to make an appointment if required.
b) Make and appointment with Medibank Health Solutions. You can make an appointment online or by phone at 1300 361 046 or 9244 8381. You will need a credit card and a valid email address.

Appointments can only be made 5 days in advance.

Step 9 More information about your student visa can be found on the Department of Home Affairs website.

Important notes

  • You may need to do an English language proficiency (IELTS) test. If you are required to take an IELTS test, you must sit for the exam before you apply for a student visa.
  • Students are encouraged to apply for the IELTS exam at least 4-6 weeks BEFORE their current student visa expires. There is a very high demand for these tests and it may take a while to confirm a booking.
  • Please make sure that you are aware of the living costs and evidence of funds requirements of your student visa.

Applying online

Students who are applying to renew their visa in Australia are strongly encouraged to lodge their visa application online. If you are applying online, you will need a credit card to pay for the application fee.  When have completed your application, you will be issued with a Transaction Reference Number (TRN) to confirm that your application has been received by the Department of Home Affairs.

The Immigration website provides information about renewing your visa online. Please read this information carefully and contact the Department of Home Affairs directly if you have any questions. (A Compliance Officer may be able to give you simple advice on the process.)

Page custodian: Deakin International
Last updated: