Visa FAQs

Information about what happens when you change your visa type.

Must I advise Deakin of any change of visa status?

Yes. You are required to advise Deakin of any change of visa status. Ideally, this should be done within 5 working days of the date your visa status changes.

Am I considered a domestic student if I get TR status?

No. Students who have TR status are considered international students for fee purposes. However, if you get a TR visa, you will not be subject to the conditions of an international student visa.

Am I considered a domestic student if I get PR status

As a permanent resident, you will be considered a domestic student. However, this does not mean that you will be eligible for a Commonwealth Supported Place. You should visit the University fees and charges page for more information

How do I notify the University of a change of visa status?

You must take evidence of your new visa to Deakin Central on your campus. Deakin Central staff will make a copy of your visa and notify other areas of the University, including the Deakin International Quality and Compliance team, of this change. Your change of status will then be reflected in the University student system and other databases as required by law.

I have changed to a PR visa. When will this change show on my invoice?

Your invoice will be updated once approved. To have your visa approved you need to show proof of your PR status to your faculty who will complete a course transfer form. The faculty will decide if you will be a domestic fee paying place or a Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP) and this will depend on available places.

Page custodian: Deakin International
Last updated: