Do you want to assist new students to make a smooth start at Deakin? Are you enthusiastic, approachable, motivated and reliable? Do you have good communication and leadership skills? Do you have excellent campus knowledge? Then Connect is the program for you.
What is Connect?
The Connect Program is an orientation peer mentor program that aims to help new students make a successful start at Deakin. The Connect Program provides social and practical on-campus support for new students during Orientation.
Student volunteers are recruited as Connect Leaders to support new students by participating in Orientation events and activities, such as:
- Providing practical support to new students during Orientation
- Supporting new international students to participate in the International Student Welcome
- Delivering campus tours
- Conducting student surveys
- Undertaking further opportunities to assist with student focused events throughout the year
Senior Connect Leaders:
Experienced Connect Leaders who have participated in the program as a volunteer for at least 2 trimesters can apply to become a Senior Connect Leader.
Additional responsibilities include:
- Providing support to Connect Leaders
- Welcome Area set-up and support
- Working closely with the Student Engagement Team for the planning, delivery and evaluation of the program
Participating in the program provides you with a number of opportunities:
- Professional development and training
- Pathways to Senior Connect Leader roles
- Making a difference for new students
- Making new friends
You will also receive:
- Connect t-shirt
- $70 on your Deakin Card
- Certificate of Recognition
Connect Leaders are provided with training and volunteer for a set number of hours throughout the Orientation period, from International Student Welcome Week through to the end of Week 1 (T1, 2018: Monday 19 February – Friday 9 March).
Training dates for Trimester 1, 2018:
- Warrnambool: Tuesday 13 February
- Burwood: Wednesday 14 February
- Geelong: Thursday 15 February