Research application requirements

You apply for a research degree by completing our online application and providing the required documents, including a brief research proposal.

In your online application, you should answer all the questions thoroughly and attach all the requested documents - if information is missing it will affect your chances of being accepted.

Scanned copies of identification and academic transcript documents may be attached to your online application, but you need to post certified copies of the originals to Deakin as soon as possible. We cannot make an offer until hard copies of these documents are received.

Application requirements

You will need to provide the following documents (click links for more information):

two referee reports with referees' details (download document templates here)

Reports from two academic referees are required.

You should request reports from current or former lecturers or academic or employment supervisors who are able to comment on your research expertise and potential. Please urge your referees to complete and send in their reports as soon as possible.

Your referees should retain a photocopy of the reports they provide to Deakin. These reports are confidential and must be sent by your referees directly to Deakin University at the address indicated on the form.

a brief outline of your research proposal

Provide a brief outline of your proposed research topic. We use this to assess whether the University has appropriate supervision expertise available.

If you have already been in contact with a potential supervisor, you may work with them to develop your research proposal. For more information, see Preparing a research proposal.

academic transcripts

You need to provide transcripts of all of your tertiary education studies, except those undertaken at Deakin University.

These should indicate the name of the qualification, the institution of enrolment, the years of study, the subjects/units undertaken, the grades achieved, explanatory notes concerning the grades and proof that the qualification has been completed. If transcripts are not in English, an English translation must also be supplied.

If you have previously been enrolled in a research degree at another institution, or are applying to transfer your research degree from another institution, proof of your commencement date and evidence of any intermissions or changes of candidature (e.g. from full time to part time).

proof of identification and citizenship

Australian or New Zealand citizens need to provide a certificed copy of your birth certificate, relevant pages of your passport or a citizenship certificate.

Australian permanent residents need to provide a certificed copy of the relevant pages of your passport showing your visa or a letter with your residency status from the Department of Immigration.

International citizens need to provide a certificed copy of relevant pages of your passport showing your identity and citizenship.

If relevant, you also need to provide proof of any changes of name (e.g. marriage certificate).

details of your published work

If you have had your research published, provide a list of publications with the information presented as described below.

Publication types

Your list of published work must be broken down into the following types:

  • Refereed journal articles
  • Refereed conference papers
  • Non-refereed conference papers
  • Books based on original research
  • Book chapters based on original research
  • Professional research reports.

Publication details

For each published work:

  • Provide full bibliographic references
    For example: Smith. J., Brown. S., Shaw. P. Title., Name of Publication, Type of Publication, (e.g., refereed journal article, non-refereed journal article, book chapter, review etc.), Publication Details (e.g., Volume 29, issue 2, 2005).
  • Outline your contribution to the work.
  • State whether the journal or conference was national or international,
  • Provide a copy of the contents page and abstract page for each item.
  • Do not attach the full article.

evidence of English language proficiency, if required

Where your first language is not English, or where degree qualifications were not undertaken in the English language, you must provide evidence of English proficiency. Proof of English proficiency may be satisfied by one of the tests below, depending on the faculty or institute to which you are applying. Please note that all tests must have been completed within the last two years.

Other possible demonstrations of English language ability are indicated in Deakin International English language requirements.

The Faculties of Health and Science, Engineering and Built Environment and the Institute for Technology Research and Innovation may allow you to provide proof of your English proficiency after they have approved your application. If so, the required standard may be achieved at the Deakin University English Language Institute (DUELI).

Arts and EducationIELTS (Academic) overall score of 7 with  no band less than 7TOEFL paper-based test (TOEFL PBT) 600 (Writing 5.0) or TOEFL internet-based test (TOEFL iBT) 100 (Writing 24) or betterN/A
Business and LawIELTS (Academic) overall score of 7 with no band less than 6.5.TOEFL paper-based test (TOEFL PBT) 600 (Writing 5.0) or TOEFL internet-based test (TOEFL iBT) 100 (Writing 24) or betterN/A
HealthIELTS (Academic) overall score of 7 with no band less than 7.TOEFL paper-based test (TOEFL PBT) 600 (Writing 5.0) or TOEFL internet-based test (TOEFL iBT) 100 (Writing 24) or betterN/A
Science, Engineering and Built Environment and ITRIIELTS (Academic) overall score of 6.5 with no band less than 6.TOEFL paper-based test (TOEFL PBT) 580 (Writing 4.5) or TOEFL internet-based test (TOEFL iBT) 92 (Writing 21) or betterMay consider previous studies in English - e.g. if you've satisfactorily completed at least two academic years of full-time study in a university degree program where English is the language of instruction and assessment for the whole university. You will need to prove this.

Certified copies

Certified copies of important documents are photocopies that have been sighted along with the original document by an authorised person. The person must then write on every page of the copy document a statement like the following: 'I have sighted the original document and certify this to be a true copy of the original'.

The person certifying documents for you should sign each statement and provide their designation, for example, 'Pharmacist'.

Authorised persons include:

  • Justices of the Peace
  • police officers of the rank of Sergeant and above
  • pharmacists
  • barristers, solicitors and patent attorneys
  • principals of Australian secondary colleges, high school and primary schools
  • postal managers
  • medical practitioners
  • bank managers
  • accountants.

Back to top