Apply for a single unit (non-award study)

Most units offered at Deakin University are available for non-award study. Non award means a unit of study that does not lead to a degree. You can pursue your personal or professional interests or take a single unit to see if university study is for you.

To apply for single unit/non-award study, apply online via the Course and Scholarship Applicant Portal.

Approval for some units is dependent on the availability of places after Commonwealth supported students have enrolled.

Students undertaking units on a single unit (non-award study) basis are advised to seek advice about unit planning prior to enrolment.  The Faculty is not responsible for enrolment decisions (including in relation to unit load and sequencing) made by a student, that are not in accordance with documented advice given by Faculty course advisers.

Note: You can apply for multiple units in one trimester in the one application and you will be notified of the outcome by email. However, if you apply for a unit in one trimester and later on you want to study a different unit in another trimester, you need to submit another online application.

Using a single unit as a pathway to a course

Successfully completed non-award units do not automatically qualify you for admission to an award course at Deakin, but they may be counted as credit towards a degree course at Deakin.

If you enjoy your single unit study experience at Deakin and want to do an award course, you need to submit a course application, with your successfully completed unit listed on an accompanying Credit for Prior Learning application.

Choosing a unit

Use the Search for a unit feature in the Handbook to find a non-award unit that is right for you.

If admitted to a unit/s, you must complete all administrative, academic and examination requirements in order to obtain formal acknowledgement that you have properly completed the unit.

Once enrolled, you have the privileges and responsibilities of a Deakin University student and an invoice for the fees payable will be available through StudentConnect.

Law units - If you wish to undertake a law unit you must check the COLE table on the School of Law site for equivalent units of study. For example if COLE have instructed you to enrol in Property, you must undertake both MLL327 Property and  MLL325 Land Law to comply.

Application dates

 Applications openApplications close
Trimester 2, 201414 April 20146 July 2014


Deakin University is required to charge fees for single unit/non-award enrolments. The cost of each unit depends on the government-classified area of study to which the unit belongs. Single unit/non-award fees are trimester based and cover full tuition costs.

Unit fees can be found on the Unit Search page under "Unit Fee Information":

Single-unit students are not eligible for financial assistance from Centrelink, university loans or other grants. If fees are to be paid by an employer or a sponsor, a Sponsorship agreement form(PDF, 126.1 KB) must be completed.

A single subject non-award unit is not Commonwealth supported and therefore students are not eligible for HECS-HELP or FEE-HELP (unless you are undertaking bridging training for overseas trained professionals).

Back to top