Develop a systematic understanding of the international forces shaping government business and community life in the world today.
The Bachelor of International Studies is a course for students seeking an international orientation, with a commitment to a period of study at an overseas university, internship at an international organisation or participation in an in-country language program.
Bachelor of International Studies, 2010
Geelong Waurn Ponds Campus
Currently: studying Bachelor of Arts (Honours)
Melbourne Burwood Campus
'I have always had an interest in international relations, politics, and travel. With my courses I have been able to combine all three of my passions.
'The knowledge and understanding of the world around us, coupled with an international experience, makes the Bachelor of International Studies a truly exciting course.
'I was lucky enough to be able to complete an In-Country Language Program in East Java, Indonesia at the end of my first year at Deakin. The ability to study a language whilst also immersed in that language and culture improved my language skills far quicker than just being in an Australian classroom.
'I am hoping to work in the public sector in a role with the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade. I believe that my course at Deakin has provided me with the knowledge to be able to work effectively in a government position in this field.'
What can I study?
Get a genuine international study experience and the opportunity to gain cross-cultural experience by studying in Australia and taking part in study and/or internships in another country. International studies covers a variety of disciplines including:
- International Relations
- Middle East Studies
- Politics & Policy Studies
Why study international studies at Deakin?
Industry learning in international studies
International studies has a variety of work placements available to students which give you the opportunity to apply your skills and get a taste for the workplace, including:
- international internships
- field education
- in-country study programs
- industry connections.
Teaching and learning excellence
Deakin's lecturers are active within their profession, which means you'll be taught by specialists who know, understand and have connections within industry.
The School of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences undertakes outstanding research in diverse fields.
Careers for international studies graduates
Career opportunities for graduates include but are not limited to:
- local and federal government agencies
- media organisations
- public service
- tourism organisations
- research consultancies
- economic consultancies
- financial institutions
- management consultancies
- foreign affairs departments
- federal defence agencies
- communications industry
- community health organisations.
Give yourself the competitive edge after graduation. Discover and live in a new country and make friends all around the world. With a Deakin Education Abroad program, your degree can take you where you want to go.
Exchange and Education Abroad programs are available to all students, including international, postgraduate and off-campus students.
- Undergraduate: Arts, humanities and social sciences careers booklet (PDF, 1.5 MB)
- Postgraduate and research: Arts, humanities and social sciences study area booklet (PDF, 2.1 MB)
- School of Humanities and Social Sciences
International Studies courses
View all international studies courses at Deakin. Courses include but are not limited to:
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of International Studies
- Bachelor of Commerce / Bachelor of International Studies
- Diploma of Language
Postgraduate studies by coursework
- Graduate Certificate of International Relations
- Graduate Diploma of International Relations
- Master of Arts (International Relations)
- Master of Business Administration (International)
- Master of Business Administration (International/Master of International Finance)
- Master of International & Community Development
Postgraduate studies by research
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD)
- Master of Arts