ESOS Act National Code and privacy
ESOS Act National Code
The Department of Education, Employment and Workplace Relations (DEEWR) regulates the education and training sector's involvement with international students studying in Australia on student visas. It does this through the Education Services for Overseas Students (ESOS) legislative framework which includes the National Code, outlining the framework, roles and responsibilities, registration and a set of standards for education providers. Please see the National Code to find out more.
Specific standards that are relevant to you
As an applicant to study at Deakin, specific standards are relevant for your considerations and the following activities will ensure you understand how Deakin complies with the requirements:
- review the Deakin International section of the website carefully to familiarise yourself with course details and requirements, indicative tuition fees and refund policy and information about living in Australia.
- review your Offer Letter carefully before accepting the offer.
- for applicants under 18 years of age, suitable care and accommodation must be arranged prior to Deakin approving a CAAW and issuing a Confirmation of Enrolment.
- there are restrictions on students transferring to another provider within the first six months of enrolling into the principle course of study. Please review the Deakin guidelines before applying.
- review the Student Complaints policy in The Guide.
- understand the academic appeals process that is called Academic Progress In Higher Education Award Courses Procedure found in The Guide.
- you will be expected to complete your course of study within the duration of your student visa. Read carefully to understand the actions and options available to ensure your course is completed in time.
- check your Offer Letter for any details of Credit Transfer and Recognition listed and its effect on the duration of your course. Bring original documents of previous studies to the enrolment session for formal approval.
- if you intend to defer the commencement of your studies, please ensure the course is available in the following trimester and advise the international admissions staff so that a revised Offer Letter and Confirmation of Enrolment may be issued. There are clear policies covering intermission, exclusion or cancellation of enrolment which might be viewed in The Guide under procedures for enrolment and academic progress.
- understand that it is your responsibility to ensure Deakin always has your current contact address.
Please see Compliance and Visas for more information about ESOS and and standards of the code that are relevant to you.
The personal information on the forms on page 123 onwards is collected to enable Deakin University to process your application for enrolment, to assist the University in marketing and planning activities and to enable the University to meet its reporting and other obligations to government agencies.
If your application is successful the information will be used to manage your academic progress, to communicate with you and to allow you to use the University's services and facilities. Your personal information will be disclosed to government agencies pursuant to reporting and other obligations, including disclosures to the Department of Immigration and Citizenship and the Department of Education, Employment and Workplace Relations. Your personal information will also be disclosed to your Overseas Student Health Cover provider and, if you are under 18 years of age, to the carer appointed for you pursuant to the National Code 2007 made under the Education Services for Overseas Student Act 2000. The University will treat your personal information in accordance with the Privacy and Data Protection Act 2014.
If personal information is not provided on the form as requested, it may not be possible for the University to process your application for enrolment. If your application is unsuccessful, it will be forwarded to Deakin's partner institution, Melbourne Institute of Business and Technology if you have ticked that option on the application form.