All international students who wish to study on-campus must apply for a student visa to come to Australia.

Please note that part of the student visa conditions require you to have continuous Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the duration of your stay in Australia.

Applying for a visa

Once Deakin receives your payment of fees, you will be sent an electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (eCOE). You will need the eCOE to apply for your student visa. Apply for a student visa and enrol as soon as possible. Your eCOE will expire five days after your course starts. To apply for a student visa, you are required to:

Visa application forms are available from:

If your eCOE does expire, or if there are any other changes to your proposed enrolment, you will need to discuss your options by contacting Deakin International Admissions.

For more information regarding student visas, OSHC and other matters, please visit or contact the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP).

Entry to Australia on a student visa is only permitted for applications undertaking a CRICOS registered on-campus course.

Under-18 students

Under Australian law, students under the age of 18 are regarded as minors and there are special visa requirements regarding their welfare during their time in Australia. This means that if you have not turned 18, you must be placed in the care of a guardian while studying in Australia. Parents can nominate a guardian or arrangements can be made with a professional carer and guardian organisation.

Relevant information and forms are sent out to parents and students with the Letter of Offer prior to enrolment. Complete and return the forms to Deakin International as soon as possible so that arrangements can be made for a professional carer if necessary.

Once you arrive, you should contact an International Student Adviser on your campus.

Are you from an autonomous sanctions-listed country?

Deakin University is subject to the Autonomous Sanctions Act and to other laws made by the Australian Government to implement resolutions of the United Nations Security Council ('International Sanctions Laws'). These laws are subject to change from time to time and may prohibit us from accepting enrolments from students associated with certain sanctioned entities or regimes or, in some circumstances, from students who wish to undertake Higher Degrees by Research (HDR) in particular fields.

Information about the countries affected by the Autonomous Sanctions legislation and the effect of those sanctions on specific countries can be found on the DFAT website.

If your country is on this list, your application to undertake certain research topics in Australia may be subject to scrutiny and approval by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT). Where DFAT approval is required, an extra 3 – 6 months waiting time may be added to the application process. It is for this reason that we suggest that you apply well in advance if you are from a country affected by Autonomous Sanctions legislation to ensure that your application can be processed and approved by your proposed commencement date.

We strongly recommend that you contact your intended supervisor prior to lodging an application so that your research project does not conflict with the requirements of the Autonomous Sanctions legislation.

The Knight Review

The Knight Review into international student visa application and processing brought about a change in government legislation.

  1. What is the Knight Review?
    The Knight Review is a review of the student visa program in Australia by the Hon Michael Knight AO. The review was conducted in an attempt to improve the existing student visa program. Please visit the DIBP website to find out more about the review.
  2. If you are a Deakin International Representative, please contact your International Marketing Manager or see the Agent's Portal for more information. Please contact Deakin International for additional enquiries.

Apply for a new student visa (extending your stay)

What you need to do if you need renew your visa.

CoE information

How to apply for a new CoE, CoE application form, Frequently asked questions about CoEs.

Complaints & Appeals

Do you have a concern or complaint? Knowing who to speak to will ensure that your concerns are dealt with.

Compliance contacts

Who to contact if you have questions about visas, reporting, CoEs etc.

Compliance reporting

Understand how compliance reporting affects you. Some useful frequently asked questions.


Do you need to take a break from study? See how to apply for intermission or a short term leave of absence.

News for students

Stay up to date with the latest compliance, visa and reporting information.

Online study

The 25% rule, online study, frequently asked questions about online study.

Release and refund

Frequently asked questions, application forms, release guidelines, important release and refund information.


Visa conditions, updating your visa details with Deakin and frequently asked questions about visas.


Visa applications, compliance matters and pre-arrival communication for commencing international students.

Online induction

Information about and instructions on how to complete your compulsory online induction.

Got a question?

The Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) page will help you find the answer you are looking for.