Useful websites for self-study (Reading)
The following websites are aimed at students across all levels - General English, IELTS and EAP:
- Adult Learning Activities: Improve your listening and reading skills. Stories are organised under topics and there are activities to practice new English and check comprehension.
- Blogs and Wikis: Write your stories and opinions on a blog or a wiki. This type of writing is available on the Internet for anyone to read. You must read the warning before you go to such a site.
- English Language Centre Study Zone: This site is is divided into levels. It has some grammar explanations and good activities for elementary (200) to upper intermediate (570) level. Lower levels include vocabulary; higher levels include reading with some grammar activities, but they are not related to specific points.
- Macmillan Readers Online: Books of all shapes and sizes available to read online.
- Literacy Net: This site uses stories from CNN and includes various exercises.
- Pearson Longman: Free resources for students learning English.
- Topics Online Magazine: This site is an online magazine for learners of English. There are a range of topics including food & travel pages, culture & customs and a section on globalisation.
- ABC Online: Transcripts & stories on a range of current topics.
- English Daily: Chinese stories and songs in English.
- English Club: Short stories in English. Upper-Intermediate to Advanced Students.
- Breaking News: News stories with vocabulary and comprehension exercises. Recent stories have audio. Stories are added weekly. You can choose stories from the theme (topic) list near the bottom of the page. Intermediate to Advanced Students.
- PET Reading Test: Using English.
- Cheating & Plagiarism: Academic misconduct information including cheating and plagiarism.
- ESL Reading Resources from Ohio University: See Ohio University's English language resources.
- Internet TESL Journal's Reading Resources: Links from the Internet TESL Journal.
- Reading Online (International Reading Association): Quarterly online journal which is a source of information for the worldwide literacy education community.
- Deakin Site for reading.
- Rong-chang for reading.
Page custodian: Deakin International Last updated: