Supporting documentation

When applying for a scholarship, you will normally be required to submit documentary evidence in support of your application.

How do I supply my supporting documents?

Your supporting documents must be sent to to with your applicant ID number in the 'Subject' line of the email. Your applicant ID number is six digits long and is the same number you have used to log in to the Deakin Course and Scholarship Applicant Portal.

If you need help with the types of documents you need to supply please contact the Scholarships Office.

If you are an international student applying for a scholarship or bursary, you must send your supporting documents to Deakin International Admissions.

Financial hardship

The following are three categories of financial hardship that you may fall under depending on your current financial circumstances. The supporting documents required for each category is different.

Receipt of a means-tested Centrelink benefit

Self-supporting with an income below $54,126

If you are supporting yourself and have an income under the HELP repayment threshold ($54,126), you must provide a Statutory Declaration.

In the Statutory Declaration you must:

  • declare you are self-supporting and do not rely on others for financial support
  • declare your income for the last financial year (2014-15)
  • provide an estimate of your income for the current financial year (2015-16)

Family supported with an income below $54,126

If you are supported by your family or partner and have a combined income under the HELP repayment threshold ($54,126), you must provide a Statutory Declaration.

In the Statutory Declaration you must:

  • declare you are financially dependent and list the names of those who provide for your financial support
  • declare your combined income for the last financial year (2014-15)
  • provide a combined estimate of your income and those who provide for your financial support for the current financial year (2015-16)

Disability or medical condition

Impact on your studies and supporting documentation

If you have a disability or medical condition which impacts your education, you will need to provide a letter or statement from your doctor or Health Care professional which confirms what you have written in your scholarship application.

The letter/statement must:

  • confirm the information that you have provided in your application
  • indicate the level of impact your disability or medical condition has had on your studies

Please note: a Learning Access Plan (LAP) from the Disability Resource Centre (DRC) is also acceptable.

Other forms of disadvantage including rural

Other disadvantages

If you are finding it difficult to provide evidence of your disadvantage, you can submit a signed statement of support. A statement of support is a letter written by someone on your behalf and should be as specific as possible about what you are experiencing and the impact it is having on your studies. 

The statement of support must: 

  • be written by a lawyer/solicitor, accountant, religious or community leader, school principal or teacher
  • contain an original signature


If you are from a rural or regional area you do not need to provide evidence of this. Your address details will be confirmed via StudentConnect.

Community and volunteer involvement

Evidence of participation

If you have participated in community and volunteer activities, you will need to provide evidence of this involvement. It can be a certificate of participation or a statement of support by a nominee of the organisation or program.

The evidence of participation must:

  • confirm your level of involvement in the organisation or program or activity
  • be from the community/volunteer organisation or program mentioned in your application

Due date for documents

The supporting documents due date is detailed on the individual scholarship pages located in the Scholarship listing and may vary depending on the scholarships you have applied for. 

Supporting documents submitted after the due date will not be considered and your application will not be assessed.

Submitting false supporting documents

Any student who is found to have submitted false supporting documentation will be referred to your Faculty Student Misconduct Committee. Making a false statutory declaration is an act of perjury. Perjury is a criminal offence and the penalties can be severe.

Page custodian: Division of Student Administration
Last updated: