Indigenous Access Scholarships
Indigenous Access Scholarships (IAS) aim to improve access to higher education for Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander students, particularly those who need to relocate from their remote or regional location.
Cash payment of $4823
Number per year
To be eligible for this scholarship you must be:
- an Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander person
- a commencing student enrolled for the first time at Deakin University in your first year of your undergraduate bachelor degree in Trimester 1 2015 in a commonwealth supported place
- enrolled full time unless there are exceptional circumstances preventing full-time study
- not holding a bachelors degree or higher-level award unless such award is a prerequisite of your current undergraduate course of study
- in receipt of a means-tested Centrelink benefit, or able to demonstrate that you have a personal or family taxable income below the HECS-HELP repayment threshold, depending on independence status.
- enrolled to study at the Institute of Koorie Education (IKE)
- the degree of your involvement in your local Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Community
- financial, education or social disadvantage
- responsibility for others
- your disability status
How to apply
All applicants must apply directly to Deakin University via the Deakin Course and Scholarships Applicant Portal.
As part of the application process you will also be required to provide supporting documentation. You should upload your supporting documentation as part of the online application process no later than the closing date of the scholarship. Late documentation will not be accepted.
The supporting documentation required includes evidence of:
- your financial hardship
- any medical condition
- any other disadvantage you are experiencing
- confirmation of any statement you have provided in your online application.
The types of documents you could provide are listed on the Supporting documentation page.
Applications for Trimester 1 2015 close 9th March 2015 at 5pm.