Indigenous Commonwealth Education Costs Scholarship (ICECS)
Indigenous Commonwealth Education Costs Scholarships (ICECS) are available to future full-time Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students to assist with the costs associated with higher education.
Cash payment per year ($2492 in 2014). This amount is indexed annually and is anticipated to be higher in 2015..
Up to four years (eight payments) provided eligibility is maintained.
Number per year
Deakin was allocated 22 iCECS in 2014. The number of ICECS available in 2015 is to be confirmed.
To be eligible for this scholarship you must be:
- an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander person
- undertaking an undergraduate course of study in a Commonwealth supported place
- enrolled full time unless there are exceptional circumstances preventing full time study
- in receipt of a means-tested Centrelink benefit, or able to demonstrate that you have a personal or family taxable income below the HECS-HELP repayment threshold, depending on independence status
- not holding a bachelors degree or higher-level award unless such award is a prerequisite to your current undergraduate course of study
- enrolled to study at the Institute of Koorie Education
- the degree of your involvement in your local Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Community
- financial, education or social disadvantage
- responsibility for others
- your disability status
Successful applicants are not permitted to hold an ICECS and Student Start-up Scholarship payable through Centrelink concurrently.
How to apply
Application for 2015 will be online via the Deakin Course and Scholarship Applicant Portal.
Applications will open in February 2015.
Please contact Ms Toni Bowen, Institute of Koorie Education.
Phone 03 5247 9358 or email email@example.com.