Current research scholarship holders FAQs

I'm a current HDR student, how do I apply for a scholarship in the next round?

If you are an existing Deakin research degree student applying for Scholarship only, please go to RMENET and use your Deakin student username and password to login. The scholarship application form is located at HDR/HDR eForms/Create an HDR eForm.

Instructions (PDF, 83.9 KB) are provided to assist you in creating the current student scholarship application form.

If you have applied for a HDR scholarship previously, you need to demonstrate that you have achieved significant research outcomes beyond the basic expectations of your candidature progression since your last application.

Where can I find information on other research scholarship opportunities for current students?

Other research scholarship opportunities available to current research students are regularly listed on the Research Degree Scholarships page.


Why have my scholarship payments changed or suddenly stopped?

Scholarship payments will automatically stop when your scholarship reaches the expiry date. Scholarship holders are sent an email before their scholarship is due to expire.

You should immediately report any unexplained changes to your scholarship payments to the Research Scholarships Office.

Am I allowed to work whilst receiving a scholarship?

Students are allowed to undertake a limited amount of part-time employment whilst receiving a scholarship, provided the work does not interfere with the progress of your research program. Approval must be sought for periods of part-time work amounting to more than six hours per week. The Head of School must certify that the work does not interfere with the progress of the research and the statement must be lodged with Deakin Research.

What happens to my scholarship if I submit my thesis for examination earlier than my scholarship expiry date?

Scholarship payments will be terminated two weeks after the submission date of your thesis.

Will I receive a payment summary from the University at the end of the financial year for my research scholarship payments?

Full-time research scholarships holders will not receive a payment summary at the end of each financial year as payments are non-taxable.

Making claims

Can I claim extended sick leave/maternity/paternity leave from my scholarship and how do I make a claim?

Most scholarship holders are entitled to 10 days paid sick leave per annum within the tenure of the award. This leave must be approved by your supervisor. It does not need to be reported to the Research Scholarships Office.

Most scholarships also provide paid extended sick leave, maternity and paternity leave. However, before making a claim you should check your scholarship terms and conditions. To make a claim, awardees must  apply for intermission of candidature. Medical certificates should be uploaded with the application.

How do I claim my relocation reimbursement?

Most scholarships provide a relocation reimbursement to assist students who have moved from overseas or interstate to commence studies at Deakin. However, before making a claim you should check your scholarship terms and conditions. To make a claim, you must complete a request for payment by electronic transfer form and submit it with your original dated receipts. Photocopies or scanned receipts are not acceptable. All receipts must be in detailed in English. In the case of flight expenses, you may submit an e-ticket. Receipts must be in your name and contain total payment amounts.  

You should submit your receipts in person to:

Deakin Research
Building jb
Room jb3.200
(near the Cashier's office)  

Or via mail to:

Research Scholarships Office
Deakin Research
Deakin University
Waurn Ponds Campus
Locked Bag 20000
Geelong, VIC 3220

Scholarship and personal details changes

How do I apply to intermit or extend my scholarship?

Applications to intermit or extend your scholarship are made via the HDR online forms.

I would like to change to part-time or off-campus studies, how does this affect my scholarship?

Any change from full-time or on-campus studies is likely to result in termination of your scholarship. Under exceptional circumstances you may be approved to change to part-time or off-campus studies and keep your scholarship. For further advice on this process, contact the Research Scholarships Office.

How do I update my mailing address?

If you have changed your mailing address, your details need to be updated on StudentConnect. You will also need to update your DeakinPeople account by selecting 'My HR' from the main menu and then selecting 'Personal Information'.

How do I change my banking details?

You should update your banking details via DeakinPeople by selecting 'My HR' from the main menu and then selecting 'Payroll and Compensation'.

Page custodian: Deakin Research
Last updated: