International Postgraduate Research Scholarships (IPRS)
International Postgraduate Research Scholarships are funded by the Australian Government and awarded to international students wishing to undertake a research degree at Deakin University.
Application period/Closing date
Applications open 1 February and close 31 July.
Value and benefits
- A stipend of $25,849per annum tax exempt (2015 rate)
- A relocation allowance up to $1840 (2015 rate) awarded to students who are moving from interstate or overseas in order to study at Deakin
- Paid sick, maternity and parenting leave
- Tuition fee coverage
- Student Overseas Health Cover
- Commencing IPRS recipients may also be eligible for an Australian Postgraduate Award.
The IPRSs are open to international students. Successful applicants must have achieved a first class Honours degree or equivalent. Awards are only available to those who will be undertaking a Masters or Doctoral degree full-time in 2014 and have applied for, or are currently enrolled in, a Higher Degree by Research. Applicants who have commenced their research degree must have at least 12 months full-time or equivalent candidature remaining. Applicants who have previously held an IPRS for six months or more cannot be considered for another IPRS, APA or DUPR.
The primary criterion is a high standard of Honours (a year of assessed research following an undergraduate course) or its equivalent. Equivalence could include:
- research Masters' degree with at least 2/3 of the degree comprising a thesis graded at 80%+
- coursework Masters' degrees or graduate diplomas which includes a research project or thesis of 10,000 to 20,000 words to 80%+ standard and research methodology units
- comparable qualifications from international universities including a research project or thesis of 10,000 to 20,000 words and GPA 80%+ standard
- relevant postgraduate research experience
- independently refereed journal articles, publications, or conference papers
- professional reporting or prior learning
- research related awards or prizes
- other evidence of research ability.
Please refer to the entry pathways to higher degrees by research for further information.
Selection for scholarships is based on academic merit, research experience, publications relative to opportunity, alignment of the project with strategic priorities and the supervisory experience/support of the potential supervisors. Please refer to the HDR Scholarship Ranking Guidelines (PDF, 173.4 KB) which are used by Schools and Faculties during the scholarship rounds to rank scholarship applications.
Terms and conditions
Please review the terms and conditions (PDF, 147.4 KB) prior to lodging an application.
How to apply
Please refer to the Apply for a research degree webpage for application information.
Please contact Deakin International.