PhD Scholarship - Only at the Movies? Mapping the Contemporary Australian Cinema Market
School of Communication & Creative Arts
Deakin University is looking for an outstanding scholar for a full-time PhD scholarship to work on a large-scale quantitative study of global and regional cinema data. The study focuses on the contemporary practice of cinemagoing around the world by exploring exhibition and distribution patterns and audience behaviour.
The successful applicant will be a full team member of a large multi-disciplinary Australian Research Council grant that asks, 'What is the enduring appeal of cinemagoing and how is it changing?' It aims to provide detailed analyses of formal film exhibition and distribution in Australia by combining economic, cultural and geospatial research with industry expertise. Possible areas of research include:
- Expanded data techniques in the cultural industries
- Cultural informatics
- Visualisation and cultural data
- Contemporary film distribution and exhibition practices
- Cultural economics and cinema.
The successful applicant will work with Professor Deb Verhoeven. Applicants with disciplinary backgrounds in cinema studies, geo-spatial sciences, cultural economics, data visualisation or the digital humanities are encouraged to apply. The award is to commence in 2014.
Application period/Closing date
Applications close 5pm, 6 August 2014
Value and benefits
- A stipend of $25,392 per annum tax exempt
- Applicants must meet Deakin's PhD entry requirements, be enrolling full-time and must hold a Bachelor's degree with Honours (first class) or a Master's degree with a substantial research component, or equivalent
- Strong skills and experience in quantitative research methods and data analysis
- Experience working with cultural data
- Applications are open to Australian citizens or permanent residents, New Zealand citizens or international applicants.
Terms and conditions
Please refer to the terms and conditions (PDF, 359.7 KB) of award.
How to apply
Applications should include a covering letter, curriculum vitae, names of 2 referees, copies of qualifications, and a short summary statement of 2-3 pages (max) outlining interest in the above topic area. Applications should be emailed to Dr Alwyn Davidson (email@example.com) by the closing date.
Please contact Dr Alwyn Davidson via email or phone 03 9244 5071.