Teaching and Learning

Casual Academic Staff Handbook

Induction and orientation

Your Responsibilities

The University has a Code of Conduct which all staff are expected to follow.


You will be required to complete a Casual employment agreement form each time you begin/renew your employment with Deakin – see: https://staff.deakin.edu.au/employment/casuals.php

This process is managed by the Administrative staff within your School in association with your supervisor/unit chair.


Keep a copy of this form before you return it to your School.

Professional development (PDCAS)

Your supervisor and Head of School need to either nominate you for, or exempt you from, the Professional development program for casual academic staff. The details of the program are available at: http://www.deakin.edu.au/itl/pd/pdcas/index.php.

The categories of exemption are listed on the PDCAS Advice Form. Processing this form is managed by your School’s administrative staff.

If you believe that you would benefit from completing this PD program, discuss it with your supervisor. He/she may not necessarily be aware of it.

Employment Conditions

Your conditions of employment are determined by the current Enterprise Bargaining Agreement (EBA). You can access details of this EBA at:


Student Charter

The Deakin Student Charter outlines clearly the expectations students should have of staff and staff can have of students at the University.

The Student Charter is available at:


Staff ID Card

When you are entered into Deakin’s management system by Human Resources Division (HRD), a staff ID number is allocated to you. You then need to visit the Deakin Central office at your campus, where a photo will be taken of you and normally your staff ID card is produced on the spot.

Deakin Central locations and contact details may be found at:


You may find further information about your ID Card at


Car Parking

Between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Monday to Friday, you will need a parking permit to park a vehicle at any of Deakin’s campuses.

Full details of parking at Deakin are available at http://www.deakin.edu.au/services/parking/index.php


Public Transport

All Deakin campuses are serviced by public transport. Details are available at:


Child Care

On campus child care is available for staff and students at the Burwood, Geelong (Waurn Ponds) and Warrnambool campuses.

Details are available at:


Remote Access

As a casual academic, you can access Deakin’s online network from home. This allows you to access:

  • the Library
  • the Units you are involved in via Deakin Studies Online (DSO)
  • Deakin’s staff intranet, including web-mail
  • email communication with other staff, and with students.

Visit: http://www.deakin.edu.au/its/services/itsc-networkmanagement.php# for more information.

Email Account

Once your staff ID number has been passed from Human Resources Division (HRD) to ITSD a Deakin username can be created for you. This allows for an email account to be set up for you. A current staff member must access the Staff Account Creation page to begin the process for you. It is important that you arrange for an email account to be set up for you so that communication between you and the University is possible.


A University facility that gives staff the ability to view, update and enter a variety of HR information online from their desktop. See:


Smoking Policy

The University prohibits smoking in all University buildings and vehicles and in certain areas at some campuses.

Details of the policy are available at: http://www.deakin.edu.au/hr/ohs/manual/work-environment.php/#smoking

Telephone Prefixes

If using Deakin’s internal telephone system, you need only dial the extension number, i.e. final 5 digits.

If dialling from outside the University you need to add the following relevant prefix:

  • Melbourne campus
    • (03) 924 for extensions beginning with 4 or 6
    • (03) 925 for extensions starting with 1
  • Geelong campuses – (03) 522
  • Warrnambool campus – (03) 556

University Mail System

Internal mail is delivered overnight between and across all campuses

You will find mail drop-off bags in your Faculty/School staffroom, or check with the Faculty administrative staff.

Staff intranet

Deakin’s staff intranet giving you access to much information about the University - see: https://staff.deakin.edu.au/

Deakin University acknowledges the traditional land owners of present campus sites.

5th March 2012