Akari Nakai Kidd is an academic and scholar of Architecture at Deakin University, School of Architecture and Built Environment. Akari received her architectural education at The Cooper Union Irwin S. Chanin School of Architecture in New York, USA and has experience working in the architectural field under Japanese architect Kengo Kuma in Tokyo, Japan. She has completed her Doctoral research at the Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand, where she also taught extensively in the areas of Architectural Design and Architectural Theory and Criticism.
Akari’s research extends her PhD investigation and explores architectural and theoretical relations that can be drawn between architecture, architectural practice and affect. Many disciplines have taken an ‘affectual’ turn, from the philosophical lineage of Spinoza, Nietzsche to Deleuze & Guattari where affects constitute bodies according to capacities and processes of becoming, to more recent engagements with ‘new materiality’ that has redirected attention to the expressive properties of materials - matter’s relational, interactive and affective capacities. Affect and its indeterminacy as a concept encourage different interpretations. Akari’s research is situated in this complex theoretical landscape. Although numerous studies have examined how affect emerges in- and through- the occupation of architectural spaces, little analytical attention has been paid to the creative process of architectural design and the role that affect plays in the many contingencies that arise in the process. In this context, Akari’s research explores the production and circulation of affect that emerge through practices of architecture and its creative design process.
1. Nakai Kidd, Akari. (forthcoming 2021). Architecture, Affect, and Practice. Routledge, London.
Scholarly Book Chapter
1. Kreutz, Angela, Loeback, Janet and Nakai Kidd, Akari. (2018). “Indigenous Architecture of Early Learning Centres: International Comparative Case Studies from Australia, Canada and New Zealand,” in Grant E., Greenop K., Refiti A., Glenn D. (eds), The Handbook of Contemporary Indigenous Architecture. Springer, Singapore. DOI: 10.1007/978-981-10-6904-8_33
Refereed Journal Articles
1. Sadick, Abdul-Manan, Roetzel, Astrid, DeKay, Mark, Nakai Kidd, Akari and Whittem, Vanessa (2020). "Reliability of human environmental “sensors”: evidence from first- and third-person methods," Building and environment, vol. 186, pp. 1-14. DOI: 10.1016/j.buildenv.2020.107303
2. Smitheram, Jan and Nakai Kidd, Akari (2020). "On time within an architectural community," Time and society, pp. 1-23. DOI: 10.1177/0961463X18820737.
3. Roetzel, Astrid, DeKay, M., Nakai Kidd, A., Klas, A., Sadick, A-M., Whittem, V. and Zinkiewicz, L. (2019). "Architectural, indoor environmental, personal and cultural influences on students’ selection of a preferred place to study," Architectural science review, pp. 1-17. DOI: 10.1080/00038628.2019.1691971
4. Costin, Glenn, Nakai Kidd, Akari, Simon, Timothy and Edwards, David John (2019). "Collaborative procurement and private-sector housebuilding and refurbishment works: a pilot study investigation of the UK," International journal of building pathology and adaptation, vol. 37, no. 5, pp. 699-717. DOI:10.1108/IJBPA-09-2018-0074
5. Smitheram, Jan, Nakai Kidd, Akari and Meekings, Scott (2018). "Affective logic of competition images," Visual studies, vol. 33, no. 3, pp. 264-279. DOI: 10.1080/1472586X.2018.1524267.
6. Nakai Kidd, Akari. (2018). “The Stickiness of Affect in Architectural Practice: The Image-making practice of RUR Architecture DPC,” Architecture Research Quarterly (arq), pp. 1-11. DOI: 10.1017/S1359135518000337
7. Smitheram, Jan, and Kidd, Akari. (2018). “‘Concrete Drawing’: An Ethnographical Study of Design, Matter and Affect,” Ardeth (Rosenberg & Sellier), Issue 2, pp. 177-196. DOI: 10.17454/ARDETH02.11
8. Smitheram, Jan, Kidd, Akari and Lam, Sharon. (2018). “Celebrified Homes: Architecture and Spacing Celebrities,” Celebrity Studies. DOI: 10.1080/19392397.2018.1439393
9. Kidd, Akari and Smitheram, Jan. (2016). “Kerstin Thompson Architects: Exploring Affect in Interior’s Sticky Design Process,” Interiors, Volume 7, Issues 2-3, pp. 111-134. DOI: 10.1080/20419112.2016.1191147.
10. Kidd, Akari and Smitheram, Jan. (2014). “Designing for Affect through Affective Matter,” Interstices 15: Atmospheres and Affect, pp. 82-91.
11. Kidd, Akari and Smitheram, Jan. (2014). “Affect within Design Practice and Process,” The International Journal of Architectonic, Spatial, and Environmental Design, Volume 8, Issue 1, pp. 33-42.
S342 Bachelor of Design (Architecture)
SRD163 Thoughtscapes (Unit Chair, current)
SRD364 Superstudio (Unit Chair, Studio Leader, current)
SRA215 Utopian Ideals in the Modern World (2016, 2017-Unit Chair)
SRC163 Graphic and Coded Communication (2016)
S700 Master of Architecture
SRD766 Masterclass (Supervisor, current)
SRR711 Thesis (Supervisor, current)
SRD741 Design Research (2018, 2019 -Theory Module Leader)
SRD763 Architectural Design in the Urban Context (2016-2019 - Studio Leader)
SRR782 Research Methodologies (2016, 2017-Unit Chair)
Refereed Conference Papers
1. Nakai Kidd, Akari and Salchow MacArthur, Kelly (2019). "Happy affect: harnessing chance and uncertainly in design practice," in EAD 2019 : Running with scissors : Proceedings of the 13th International Conference of the European Academy of Design 2019, Taylor & Francis, Abingdon, Eng., pp. 1747-1760, doi: 10.1080/14606925.2019.1594937.
2. Nakai Kidd, Akari and Rodes, Sanja (2018). "Historiographies of image-technologies in architecture at the turn of the twentieth and twenty-first centuries," in SAHANZ 2018 : Historiographies of technology and architecture : Proceedings of the 35th Annual Conference of the Society of Architectural Historians of Australia and New Zealand, Society of Architectural Historians of Australia and New Zealand, Wellington, N.Z., pp. 285-300.
3. DeKay, Mark, Roetzel, Astrid, Nakai Kidd, Akari, Zinkiewicz, Lucy and Klas, Anna (2018). "An integral sustainable design approach to human inhabitation of architectural spaces: theory and project design," in IEC 2018 : Allies of evolution : Proceedings of the 3rd Integral European Conference, Integral Europe, [Budapest, Hungary], pp. 1-25.
4. Kidd, Akari and Smitheram, Jan. (2014). “Situating Affect,” Situation: Proceedings of the 7th International Interior Design/Interior Architecture Educators Association (IDEA) Symposium and Exhibition, pp. 242-250. Melbourne, Australia: IDEA.
5. Kidd, Akari and Smitheram, Jan. (2014). “Designing with Images,” Proceedings for the Architectural Design Research Symposium, pp. 94-97. Venice, Italy.
1. Nakai Kidd, Akari and Gibbs, Daniel 2019, Tracing 3.11.11, World Bosai Forum 2019, Sendai, Japan. (Poster presentation)
2. Nakai Kidd, Akari and Lozanovska, M. (2018) “#Vacant Geelong,” at Interstices, Under Construction Symposium [Presence], Auckland, NZ.
3. Kidd, Akari and Rodes, Sanja. (2018) “Historiographies of Image-Technologies in Architecture at the Turn of the Twentieth and Twenty-First Centuries,” at SAHANZ, Society of Architectural Historians, Australia and New Zealand: 35. Wellington, New Zealand.
4. Roetzel, Astrid, Dekay, Mark, Nakai Kidd, Akari, Klas, Anna and Zinkiewicz, Lucy. (2018) “An Integral Sustainable Design Approach to Human Inhabitation of Architectural Spaces: Theory and Project Design,” at Integral European Conference 2018, Siofok, Hungary.
5. Kidd, Akari and Smitheram, Jan. (2014). “Situating Affect,” at 7th International IDEA “Situation” Symposium and Exhibition, Melbourne, Australia
6. Kidd, Akari and Smitheram, Jan. (2014). “Affect in Design Practice and Process,” at The 8th International Conference of Design Principles & Practices, Vancouver, Canada.
7. Kidd, Akari and Smitheram, Jan. (2013). “Designing for Affect,” at Interstices 15, Under Construction Symposium [On Atmospheres and Affects], Auckland, NZ.
2015 Victoria PhD Submission Scholarship Award, Victoria University of Wellington, NZ
2014 Graduate Scholar Award, Common Grounds Publishing, USA, Design Principles and Practice Conference
2014 Victoria Doctoral Scholarship Award, Victoria University of Wellington, NZ
2006 The American Institute of Architects Henry Adams Medal and Certificate of Merit, The Cooper Union, NY, USA
2006 The Abraham E. Kazan Award for Urban Design, The Cooper Union, NY, USA
2001-2006 The Cooper Union Full Tuition Scholarship Award, The Cooper Union, USA
Mirjana Lozanovska, Akari Nakai Kidd
(2021), pp. 1-27, ARQ: Architectural Research Quarterly, Cambridge, Eng., C1
A Nakai Kidd, Jan Smitheram
(2020), Vol. 29, pp. 5-27, Time and society, London, Eng., C1
A Sadick, A Roetzel, M DeKay, A Kidd, V Whittem
(2020), Vol. 186, pp. 1-14, Building and environment, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, C1
Glenn Costin, Akari Nakai Kidd, Timothy Simon, David Edwards
(2019), Vol. 37, pp. 699-717, International journal of building pathology and adaptation, Bingley, Eng., C1
Astrid Roetzel, M DeKay, A Nakai Kidd, A Klas, A-M Sadick, V Whittem, L Zinkiewicz
(2019), pp. 1-17, Architectural science review, Abingdon, Eng., C1
Akari Nakai Kidd, Kelly Salchow MacArthur
(2019), Vol. 22, pp. 1747-1760, EAD 2019 : Running with scissors : Proceedings of the 13th International Conference of the European Academy of Design 2019, Dundee, Scotland, E1
Angela Kreutz, Janet Loebach, Akari Nakai Kidd
(2018), pp. 895-925, The handbook of contemporary Indigenous architecture, Singapore, B1
J Smitheram, A Kidd, S Lam
(2018), Vol. 9, pp. 375-390, Celebrity studies, Abingdon, Eng., C1
Akari Nakai Kidd, Jan Smitheram
(2018), pp. 177-195, Ardeth, Turin, Italy, C1
A Nakai Kidd
(2018), Vol. 22, pp. 127-137, arq: architectural research quarterly, Cambridge, Eng., C1
Jan Smitheram, A Nakai Kidd, Scott Meekings
(2018), Vol. 33, pp. 264-279, Visual studies, Abingdon, Eng., C1
Mark DeKay, A Roetzel, Akari Nakai Kidd, Lucy Zinkiewicz, Anna Klas
(2018), pp. 1-25, IEC 2018 : Allies of evolution : Proceedings of the 3rd Integral European Conference, Siófok, Hungary, E1
A Nakai Kidd, Sanja Rodes
(2018), pp. 285-300, SAHANZ 2018 : Historiographies of technology and architecture : Proceedings of the 35th Annual Conference of the Society of Architectural Historians of Australia and New Zealand, Wellington, N.Z., E1
A Nakai Kidd, J Smitheram
(2016), Vol. 7, pp. 111-134, Interiors, London, Eng., C1
A Kidd, J Smitheram
(2014), Vol. 8, pp. 33-42, International journal of architectonic, spatial, and environmental design, Champaign, Ill., C1-1
A Kidd, J Smitheram
(2014), pp. 82-91, Interstices: journal of architecture and related arts, New Zealand, C1-1
A Nakai Kidd, J Smitheram
(2014), pp. 27-29, IDEA14: Proceedings of the Situation Symposium and Exhibition, Melbourne, Victoria, E1-1
A Nakai Kidd, J Smitheram
(2014), pp. 94-96, Proceedingsof the 2014 Architectural Design Research Symposium, Venice, Italy, E1-1
Funded Projects at Deakin
No Funded Projects at Deakin found
No completed student supervisions to report