André Bonfrer is a Professor of Marketing and the current Head of the Department of Marketing in Deakin Business School. André's current research focuses on innovations in marketing technology, customer lifetime value modelling, market response modelling, and analytics for business decision making. His work spans a range of industries, with a focus on fast-moving consumer goods, internet services, and experiences, and durables.
André has a diverse range of experience in teaching and learning and also specialises in teaching quantitative research methods. His related industry experience ranges from building digital marketing solutions for entertainment-based products to developing adaptive market response models for fast moving consumer goods and electronic commerce service providers.
André has won several awards for his research and teaching and has published in international business journals including Marketing Science, Journal of Marketing Research, International Journal of Research Marketing, Management Science, Quantitative Marketing and Economics, and Journal of Marketing.
He has served as Chair of the Australian Business Deans Council's (ABDC) Marketing Learning Standards Working Party. The Academic Standards for Marketing in the Australian Higher Education Context is a report presenting learning standards (aka threshold learning outcomes) for marketing bachelor and coursework masters degrees in the Australian context. Formed by ABDC in July 2011, the Marketing Learning Standards Working Party, prepared this report in consultation with the marketing community, including public and private higher education providers, employers, professional associations and other key stakeholders. The working party sought to develop consensus across the marketing higher education community for the learning standards in preparation for addressing Teaching and Learning Standards, one of the five standards domains of the Tertiary Education Quality and Standards Agency (TEQSA).
André earned his Bachelor of Commerce degree and a Master of Commerce degree from the University of Auckland. He then completed his MBA and PhD in Business from the University of Chicago Booth School of Business. André previously worked at the University of Queensland, Australian National University, Singapore Management University, and the University of Melbourne, and held a visiting appointment at the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania.Read more on Andre's profile
- Consumer Analytics
- Digital Marketing
- Market Response Modelling
- Member, American Marketing Academy (AMA).
- Member, Australia New Zealand Marketing Academy (ANZMAC).
- Member, European Marketing Academy (EMA).
- Member, Institute for Operations Research and the Management Sciences (INFORMS).
- Marketing Analytics
- Quantitative Research Methods in Marketing
- Bonfrer, A., 'Time-varying effectiveness of competitive advertising', Marketing Dynamics, Southern Methodist University, USA, 8-11-July 2018.
- Bonfrer, A., 'The value of prospecting and the role of marketing actions', INFORMS Marketing Science, University of Southern California, USA, 6-9 June 2016.
- Bonfrer, A., 'The impact of plain packaging regulation of tobacco products on sales', INFORMS Marketing Science, University of Southern California, USA, 6-9 June 2016.
- Bonfrer, A., 'Does Economic Growth Lead to Consumers Purchasing More Energy Efficient Appliances?', Australia New Zealand Marketing Academy (ANZMAC), University of New South Wales, Australia, 4-8 December 2015.
- Best Overall Paper Award, Australian New Zealand Marketing Academy (ANZMAC), 2015.
- Best Paper in Track Award, Marketing Analytics, Australian New Zealand Marketing Academy (ANZMAC), 2015.
- Distinguished Researcher of the Year, Australian New Zealand Marketing Academy (ANZMAC), 2012.
- Dean's Recognition for Outstanding Teaching, Lee Kong Chian School of Business, Singapore Management University, 2006-2007.
- Lee Kuan Yew Fellow for Research Excellence, Singapore Management University 2003.
- Lee Foundation Fellow, Lee Foundation, Singapore, 2001-2002.
- PhD Delegate, Albert Haring Symposium, 1997.
- Graduate School of Business Fellowship, University of Chicago, 1993-1998.
- First Class Honours, University of Auckland, 1992.
A Bonfrer, P Chintagunta, S Dhar
(2022), Vol. 98, pp. 71-91, Journal of Retailing, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, C1
A Bonfrer, P Chintagunta, J Roberts, D Corkindale
(2020), Vol. 39, pp. 234-252, Marketing Science, Catonsville, MD, C1
B Puza, A Bonfrer
(2018), Vol. 47, pp. 80-91, Communications in statistics - theory and methods, Abingdon, Eng., C1-1
A Bonfrer, X Dreze
(2016), pp. 85-126, From Little's law to marketing science: essays in honor of John D. C. Little, Cambridge, Mass., B1-1
S Lu, A Bonfrer, R Voola
(2015), Vol. 2, pp. 148-164, Customer needs and solutions, New York, N.Y., C1-1
M Braun, A Bonfrer
(2011), Vol. 30, pp. 513-531, Marketing science, Providence, R.I., C1-1
S Bharadwaj, K Tuli, A Bonfrer
(2011), Vol. 75, pp. 88-104, Journal of marketing, Chicago, Ill., C1-1
(2010), pp. 307-336, The connected customer: the changing nature of consumer and business markets, New York, N.Y., B1-1
A Bonfrer, X Drèze
(2009), Vol. 28, pp. 251-263, Marketing science, Providence, R.I., C1-1
X Drèze, A Bonfrer
(2009), Vol. 7, pp. 289-320, Quantitative marketing and economics, New York, N.Y., C1-1
X Drèze, A Bonfrer
(2008), Vol. 22, pp. 36-50, Journal of interactive marketing, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, C1-1
P Danaher, A Bonfrer, S Dhar
(2008), Vol. 45, pp. 211-225, Journal of marketing research, Chicago, Ill., C1-1
D Bell, A Bonfrer, P Chintagunta
(2005), Vol. 42, pp. 169-182, Journal of marketing research, Chicago, Ill., C1-1
A Bonfrer, P Chintagunta
(2004), Vol. 24, pp. 195-218, Review of industrial organization, Cham, Switzerland, C1-1
P Chintagunta, A Bonfrer, I Song
(2002), Vol. 48, pp. 1242-1267, Management science, Providence, R.I., C1-1
R Brodie, A Bonfrer, J Cutler
(1996), Vol. 13, pp. 379-387, International Journal of Research in Marketing, C1-1
R Brodie, A Bonfrer
(1994), Vol. 10, pp. 277-285, International Journal of Forecasting, C1-1
Funded Projects at Deakin
Industry and Other Funding
A/Prof Ali Tamaddoni Jahromi, Prof Andre Bonfrer
Legal Super Pty Ltd
- 2023: $18,181
Measuring Consumer Preferences for AI Alignment Strategies
Prof Andre Bonfrer, A/Prof Ali Tamaddoni Jahromi
Conjointly AI Alignment Research Grant
- 2023: $10,000
No completed student supervisions to report