Dr Arash Shaghaghi is a Lecturer (Assistant Professor) in Cyber Security at the Centre for Cyber Security Research & Innovation (CSRI), and Deputy Academic Director (Teching) at the School of Information Technology (IT), Deakin University. He also holds affiliation with UNSW Sydney as a Visiting Fellow. He currently leads the Data After Death (DaD) project at CSRI. Before joining Deakin, he completed his PostDoc at UNSW Sydney and has held positions with the University of Melbourne, and the University of Texas at Dallas (USA).
Arash received his Ph.D. in Computer Science and Engineering from The University of New South Wales (UNSW Sydney) and MSc in Information Security from University College London (UCL). His research interests include Access Control, Network Security, Internet of Things, and Blockchain. He is also passionate about developing usable and verifiable Privacy Enhancing Technology (PET) solutions. Arash has received multiple awards, scholarships, and grants for his teaching and research activates. Most recently, he was a CI of "Zero Trust Architectures for Australia's Critical Infrastructure Security" project funded by the Australian Government. Arash's research work has been reported in industry journals such as AISA's Cyber Today, media outlets such as The Conversation, and he has appeared in live interviews of mainstream media including Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC) radio channels to discuss his research activities. He is a board member at the Australian Privacy Foundation (APF), a member of the Australian Computer Society (ACS), Australian Information Security Association (AISA), and IEEE.Read more on Arash's profile
Broadly, Computer Security and Privacy. More specifically, Access Control, Network Security, Internet of Things, and Blockchain. I'm also passionate about developing usable and verifiable Privacy Enhancing Technology (PET) solutions. I'm looking to recruit domestic and international Ph.D. students in-line with my area of research interest with competitive scholarships of up to AUD 50K. If interested, contact me with your CV and transcripts. (see here)
Visiting Fellow, School of Computer Science and Engineering, The University of New South Wales (UNSW Sydney)
I'm a member of the Bachelor of Cybersecurity Course Leadership Team. I primarily enjoy teaching hands-on technical units, where students learn by doing.
As Unit Chair and Lecturer I have been involved with:
- SIT103 - Data and Information Management
- SIT707 - Software Quality and Testing
- SIT791 - Professional Practice
- SIT182 - Real World Practices for Cyber Security
I have been involved as a supervisor for:
- SIT764/SIT782 - Capstone Units
- SIT792 - Minor Thesis (12 students until Sep 2020)
- Organizing Committee: Web Chair for IEEE International Conference on Blockchain and Cryptocurrency (ICBC) 2020, Publicity Chair of Workshop on Emerging Technologies for Security in IoT (CPS-IoT at UNSW).
- Technical Program Committee (TPC) member for the 19th Australasian Symposium on Parallel and Distributed Computing (AusPDC 2021), IEEE International Conference on Blockchain and Cryptocurrency (ICBC) 2020, ICBC 2019, IEEE Local Computer Networks 2019 and 2020, 2020 Australasian Computer Science Week (ASCW), International Conference on Information Systems Security (ICISS 2020), International Conference on COMmunication Systems & NETworkS (COMSNETS 2020), ACM BuildSys Workshop of Enforcing IoT Security in the Built Environment, Student PC Member of IEEE Security & Privacy in 2017 and 2018.
Reviewer for several leading journals including the Journal of Pervasive Computing and Communications, IEEE Transactions on Dependable and Secure Computing, IEEE Transaction on Networks, IEEE Transactions on Network and Service Management, Pervasive and Mobile Computing Journal, and Artificial Intelligence Review. I have also been a reviewer for papers at high ranked conferences such as IEEE LCN 2018 and 2017, IEEE MASS’17, ACM MSWiM 2016, ACM CoNEXT 2016 and 2015, IEE Percom 2019.
Board Member at the Australian Privacy Foundation (APF)
- Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC) Radio National - ABC Life Matters program (link to podcast)
- Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC) Radio Sydney
- ABC Statewide Drive NSW Radio
- ABC Radio Adelaide
- 2NURFM Radio (New Castle)
Also, in textual format:
2018 - now:
- Deakin University, School of Information Technology Award - Excellence in Early Career Research Performance, 2020.
- Best Demo Award, The 45th IEEE Conference on Local Computer Networks (LCN) [Core A-ranked], 2020.
- Deakin University, School of Information Technology Award - Excellence in Teaching & Unit Development, 2020.
- Deakin University, School of Information Technology Award - Successfully Embedding Industry Certifications within Cyber Security Units, 2020.
- Deakin University, School of Information Technology Award - Excellence in International Student Engagement, 2020.
- Deakin University, School of Information Technology - Teaching & Learning Award: Outstanding Industry Capstone Supervisor, 2019.
- The University of New South Wales (UNSW Sdyeny), UNSW ARC Research Student Award, 2018
- Cyber Security Cooperative Research Centre (CSCRC), "Provably Secure and Efficient Machine-to-Machine Authentication Solutions for IoT Systems", $185,000 [PI], 2021.
- Strategic Centre for Cyber Security Research and Innovation (CSRI), "Detecting Internet of Thing (IoT) Bots: A Comparative Study", $4,000 [PI], 2020.
- Strategic Centre for Cyber Security Research and Innovation (CSRI), "Data after Death (DaD): Understanding the Risks to Australians", $10,000 [PI], 2020.
- Australian Government, "Zero Trust Architectures for Australia's Critical Infrastructure Security", $60,741 [CI, PI: Prof. Robin Doss], 2020.
- Cyber Security Cooperative Research Centre (CSCRC), Fingerprinting Compromised IoT Devices Based on Power Consumption, $10,700 [PI], 2019.
- Deakin University, School of Information Technology (IT), "Bitcoin Meta-data and Malware C&C Servers", $9,326. [PI], 2019.
I have also been involved as a student member of the UNSW node for AU2EU Project.
Zainab Abaid, Arash Shaghaghi, Ravin Gunawardena, Suranga Seneviratne, Aruna Seneviratne, Sanjay Jha
(2021), Vol. 1267, pp. 111-121, CISIS 2020 : Proceedings of the 13th International Conference on Computational Intelligence in Security for Information Systems, Burgos, Spain, E1
Dimitri Kamenski, Arash Shaghaghi, Matthew Warren, Salil Kanhere
(2021), Vol. 1267, pp. 3-12, CISIS 2020 : Proceedings of the 13th International Conference on Computational Intelligence in Security for Information Systems, Burgos, Spain, E1
Arash Shaghaghi, Mohamed Kaafar, Rajkumar Buyya, Sanjay Jha
(2020), pp. 341-387, Handbook of computer networks and cyber security : principles and paradigms, Cham, Switzerland, B1-1
Sukhpal Gill, Arash Shaghaghi
(2020), Vol. 32, pp. 15-22, Journal of organizational and end user computing, Hershey, Pa., C1
Syed Shah, Arash Shaghaghi, Salil Kanhere, Jin Zhang, Adnan Anwar, Robin Ram Mohan Doss
(2020), Vol. 8, pp. 194508-194522, IEEE Access, Piscataway, N.J., C1
Towards Decentralized IoT Updates Delivery Leveraging Blockchain and Zero-Knowledge Proofs
Edoardo Puggioni, Arash Shaghaghi, Robin Ram Mohan Doss, Salil Kanhere
(2020), The 19th IEEE International Symposium on Network Computing and Applications (NCA 2020), Online, E1
Uzma Maroof, Arash Shaghaghi, Sanjay Jha
(2019), pp. 50-56, IoT S&P 2019 : Proceedings of the 2nd International ACM Workshop on Security and Privacy for the Internet-of-Things, London, England, E1-1
Y Desmedt, A Shaghaghi
(2018), Vol. 11170, pp. 143-165, From database to cyber security, Cham, Switzerland, B1-1
A Shaghaghi, S Kanhere, M Kaafar, E Bertino, S Jha
(2018), pp. 553-561, LCN 2018 : Proceedings of the 43rd IEEE Conference on Local Computer Networks, Chicago, Ill., E1-1
A Shaghaghi, S Kanhere, M Kaafar, S Jha
(2018), pp. 1-5, NCA 2018 : Proceedings of the 2018 IEEE 17th International Symposium on Network Computing and Applications, Cambridge, Mass., E1-1
A Shaghaghi, M Kaafar, S Jha
(2017), pp. 849-861, ASIA CCS 2017 : Proceedings of the 2017 ACM Asia Conference on Computer and Communications Security, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates, E1-1
A Shaghaghi, M Kaafar, S Scott-Hayward, S Kanhere, S Jha
(2016), pp. 50-55, IEEE NFV-SDN 2016 : Proceedings of the 2016 IEEE Conference on Network Function Virtualization and Software Defined Networks, Palo Alto, Calif., E1-1
Y Desmedt, A Shaghaghi
(2016), pp. 89-92, MIST 2016 : Proceedings of the 8th ACM CCS International Workshop on Managing Insider Security Threats, Vienna, Austria, E1-1
A Shaghaghi, J Hong, S Jha
(2014), pp. 47-49, VideoNEXT 2014 : Proceedings of the 2014 Workshop on Design, Quality and Deployment of Adaptive Video Streaming, Sydney, N.S.W., E1-1
Funded Projects at Deakin
Other Public Sector Funding
Zero Trust Architectures for Australia's Critical Infrastructure Security.
Prof Robin Ram Mohan Doss, Dr Zubair Baig, Dr Adnan Anwar, Dr Arash Shaghaghi
- 2020: $60,741
No completed student supervisions to report