Dr Arash Shaghaghi is a Lecturer (Assistant Professor) in the Centre for Cyber Security Research & Innovation (CSRI) of Deakin University. He also holds affiliation with UNSW Sydney as a Visiting Fellow. He currently leads the Data After Death (DaD) project housed in Protective Security and Information Warfare Lab of CSRI, Deakin University. Arash received his Ph.D. in Computer Science and Engineering at UNSW Sydney, Australia, and MSc in Information Security at University College London (UCL), UK. Previously, he has also held positions with the University of Melbourne, and the University of Texas at Dallas. His research interests include Access Control, Network Security, Internet of Things, and Blockchain. He is also passionate about developing usable and verifiable Privacy Enhancing Technology (PET) solutions. He is a board member at the Australian Privacy Foundation (APF), a member of the Australian Computer Society (ACS), Australian Information Security Association (AISA), and IEEE. Arash has received awards, scholarships, and grants for his teaching and research activates. Most recently, he was a CI of "Zero Trust Architectures for Australia's Critical Infrastructure Security" project funded by the Australian Government. Arash's research work has been reported in industry journals such as AISA's Cyber Today, media outlets such as The Conversation, and he has appeared in live interviews of mainstream media including Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC) radio channels to discuss his research activities.Read more on Arash's profile
Broadly, Computer Security and Privacy. More specifically, Access Control, Network Security, Internet of Things, and Blockchain. I'm also passionate about developing usable and verifiable Privacy Enhancing Technology (PET) solutions. I'm looking to recruit domestic and international Ph.D. students in-line with my area of research interest with competitive scholarships of up to AUD 50K. If interested, contact me with your CV and transcripts. (see here)
Visiting Fellow, School of Computer Science and Engineering, The University of New South Wales (UNSW Sydney)
I'm a member of the Bachelor of Cybersecurity Course Leadership Team. I primarily enjoy teaching hands-on technical units, where students learn by doing.
As Unit Chair and Lecturer I have been involved with:
- SIT103 - Data and Information Management
- SIT707 - Software Quality and Testing
- SIT791 - Professional Practice
- SIT182 - Real World Practices for Cyber Security
I have been involved as a supervisor for:
- SIT764/SIT782 - Capstone Units
- SIT792 - Minor Thesis (12 students until Sep 2020)
- Organizing Committee: Web Chair for IEEE International Conference on Blockchain and Cryptocurrency (ICBC) 2020, Publicity Chair of Workshop on Emerging Technologies for Security in IoT (CPS-IoT at UNSW).
- Technical Progam Committee (TPC): 19th Australasian Symposium on Parallel and Distributed Computing (AusPDC 2021), IEEE International Conference on Blockchain and Cryptocurrency (ICBC) 2020, ICBC 2019, IEEE Local Computer Networks 2019 and 2020, 2020 Australasian Computer Science Week (ASCW), International Conference on Information Systems Security (ICISS 2020), International Conference on COMmunication Systems & NETworkS (COMSNETS 2020), ACM BuildSys Workshop of Enforcing IoT Security in the Built Environment, Student PC member of IEEE Security and Privacy in 2017 and 2018.
I have been a reviewer for the Journal of Pervasive Computing and Communications, IEEE Transactions on Dependable and Secure Computing, IEEE Transaction on Networks, IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking. I have also been a reviewer for IEEE MASS’17, Pervasive and Mobile Computing Journal (2017, 2018), IEEE LCN 2017 and 2018, IEEE S&P 2016, 2017 and 2018, ACM CCS 2016, ACM MSWiM 2016, ACM CoNEXT 2015, ACM CoNEXT 2016, IEEE Transaction on Dependable and Secure Computing 2016, 2017, 2018, IEEE S&P 2017 and 2018, IEEE Transactions on Network and Service Management 2018, IEEE Transactions on Networking 2017, 2018, IEE Percom 2019.
Board Member at the Australian Privacy Foundation (APF)
- Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC) Radio National - ABC Life Matters program (link to podcast)
- Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC) Radio Sydney
- ABC Statewide Drive NSW Radio
- ABC Radio Adelaide
- 2NURFM Radio (New Castle)
Also, in textual format:
2018 - now:
- Deakin University, School of Information Technology Award - Excellence in Teaching & Unit Development, 2020.
- Deakin University, School of Information Technology Award - Successfully Embedding Industry Certifications within Cyber Security Units, 2020.
- Deakin University, School of Information Technology Award - Excellence in International Student Engagement, 2020.
- Deakin University, School of Information Technology - Teaching & Learning Award: Outstanding Industry Capstone Supervisor, 2019.
- UNSW ARC Research Student Award, 2018
- External: Australian Government, "Zero Trust Architectures for Australia's Critical Infrastructure Security", $60,741 [CI, PI: Prof. Robin Doss]
- External: CSCRC, Fingerprinting Compromised IoT Devices Based on Power Consumption, $10700 [PI]
- Internal: School of IT, "Bitcoin Meta-data and Malware C&C Servers", $9,326. [PI]
I have also been involved as a student member of the UNSW node for AU2EU Project.
Zainab Abaid, Arash Shaghaghi, Ravin Gunawardena, Suranga Seneviratne, Aruna Seneviratne, Sanjay Jha
(2021), Vol. 1267, pp. 111-121, CISIS 2020 : Proceedings of the 13th International Conference on Computational Intelligence in Security for Information Systems, Burgos, Spain, E1
Dimitri Kamenski, Arash Shaghaghi, Matthew Warren, Salil Kanhere
(2021), Vol. 1267, pp. 3-12, CISIS 2020 : Proceedings of the 13th International Conference on Computational Intelligence in Security for Information Systems, Burgos, Spain, E1
Arash Shaghaghi, Mohamed Kaafar, Rajkumar Buyya, Sanjay Jha
(2020), pp. 341-387, Handbook of computer networks and cyber security : principles and paradigms, Cham, Switzerland, B1-1
Sukhpal Gill, Arash Shaghaghi
(2020), Vol. 32, pp. 15-22, Journal of organizational and end user computing, Hershey, Pa., C1
Echo-ID: Smart User Identification Leveraging Inaudible Sound Signals
Syed Shah, Arash Shaghaghi, Salil Kanhere, Jin Zhang, Adnan Anwar, Robin Ram Mohan Doss
(2020), IEEE Access, C1
Uzma Maroof, Arash Shaghaghi, Sanjay Jha
(2019), pp. 50-56, IoT S&P 2019 : Proceedings of the 2nd International ACM Workshop on Security and Privacy for the Internet-of-Things, London, England, E1-1
Y Desmedt, A Shaghaghi
(2018), Vol. 11170, pp. 143-165, From database to cyber security, Cham, Switzerland, B1-1
A Shaghaghi, S Kanhere, M Kaafar, E Bertino, S Jha
(2018), pp. 553-561, LCN 2018 : Proceedings of the 43rd IEEE Conference on Local Computer Networks, Chicago, Ill., E1-1
A Shaghaghi, S Kanhere, M Kaafar, S Jha
(2018), pp. 1-5, NCA 2018 : Proceedings of the 2018 IEEE 17th International Symposium on Network Computing and Applications, Cambridge, Mass., E1-1
A Shaghaghi, M Kaafar, S Jha
(2017), pp. 849-861, ASIA CCS 2017 : Proceedings of the 2017 ACM Asia Conference on Computer and Communications Security, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates, E1-1
A Shaghaghi, M Kaafar, S Scott-Hayward, S Kanhere, S Jha
(2016), pp. 50-55, IEEE NFV-SDN 2016 : Proceedings of the 2016 IEEE Conference on Network Function Virtualization and Software Defined Networks, Palo Alto, Calif., E1-1
Y Desmedt, A Shaghaghi
(2016), pp. 89-92, MIST 2016 : Proceedings of the 8th ACM CCS International Workshop on Managing Insider Security Threats, Vienna, Austria, E1-1
A Shaghaghi, J Hong, S Jha
(2014), pp. 47-49, VideoNEXT 2014 : Proceedings of the 2014 Workshop on Design, Quality and Deployment of Adaptive Video Streaming, Sydney, N.S.W., E1-1
Funded Projects at Deakin
Other Public Sector Funding
Zero Trust Architectures for Australia's Critical Infrastructure Security.
Prof Robin Ram Mohan Doss, Dr Zubair Baig, Dr Adnan Anwar, Dr Arash Shaghaghi
- 2020: $60,741
No completed student supervisions to report