Colin Bates, Director, Collections and Global Access, is responsible for the Library's collections and access to them, along with the Copyright and licensing environments impacting their use. He provides leadership and expertise in developing new models of access to highly digital and media rich collections, and future directions for the Library's print and special collections.
He oversees the Library's information management functions, including strategies to acquire and manage the Library's digital and physical collections, and the negotiation and implementation of access to enable creative use of knowledge resources.
In this role he works closely with the faculties and divisions of the University, and national and international publishers, to enable access to information resources that enhance Deakin's learning, teaching and research initiatives.
- Library information management functions, including quality assured approaches to the acquisition, licensing and preservation of digital and print knowledge resources.
- Metadata strategies, standards and workflows that support the discovery and curation of the Library's collections and content
- Strategies for long-term value of and active engagement with the Alfred Deakin Prime Ministerial Library and Special Collections.
- Management of copyright programs and functions
Library Management; Collections - digital and print; Licensing; Copyright; Metadata; Library buildings and spaces; Research support; Digital literacy; Library distance and online education services; Online information resources; Mobile technologies in libraries.
- Associate Member, Australian Library and Information Association.
- Member of VALA - Libraries / Technology and the Future
- Past Secretary of UCRLS Committee - Victoria group, and member of RAISS.
- Deakin University Library representative on the CAVAL Reference Interest Group (CRIG) 1989-2014
- Chairperson, CAVAL Reference Interest Group 1994-1996, and member of the executive since 1991-2014
J Epps, C Bates, B Houghton, K Thornton
(2018), pp. 1-17, VALA2018 : Proceedings of the 19th VALA Biennial Conference and Exhibition 2018, Melbourne, Vic., E1-1
Funded Projects at Deakin
No Funded Projects at Deakin found
No completed student supervisions to report