Dr Kim Teh is a Senior Lecturer in Deakin Law School. Kim was called to the English Bar in July 1995, and to the Singapore Bar in 1996 before practising law in one of Singapore’s top firms. He was also formerly a school teacher and head of the department, and, in 2003, she used both her teaching background and experience as a lawyer to develop a course on Education Law, and taught the same for two years at the National Institute of Education, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore.
Kim’s major field of expertise is in International Education Law. In her research, she examined the types of legal issues that were emerging on the international scene and has tackled topics such as bullying, negligence and student injuries, educational malpractice and sexual misconduct of teachers. Kim believes that developments in education law across various countries show similar trends emerging, which have relevance and implications for schools. An area of concern for Kim is how schools might implement policies to avert and manage legal risk and to avoid unwelcome incidents in schools.
In 2009, Kim won a prestigious international award, the Ann Shorten Doctoral Thesis Award, for the best thesis in the field, and this award was presented in a special ceremony in Melbourne. She has also published in the leading journals on education law in Australia and England and has published book chapters in the USA and the Netherlands.
Apart from her work in this area of law, Kim has taught Property Law, Tort, Economic Torts and Misleading Conduct, Legal Practice and Ethics, Commercial Law, and Legal Principles and Skills in the LLB program at Deakin, and Corporations Law, Business Law and Marketing Law to Commerce students at her former university. She has been involved as a supervisor in doctoral studies and has a keen interest in work-based learning.Read more on Kim's profile
- Education Law
- Member, Australia and New Zealand Education Law Association.
- Education Law
- Law of Torts
- MLL110 - Legal Principles and Skills
- MLL215 - Commercial Law
- MLL213 - Torts
- Educational Research Association of Singapore Conference, 2003.
- Australia and New Zealand Education Law Association Conference, 2004.
- Academy of Principals Singapore Global Education Conference, 2004.
- Australia and New Zealand Education Law Association Conference, 2007.
- Australia and New Zealand Education Law Association Conference, 2009.
- Australia and New Zealand Education Law Association Conference, 2010.
- Australia and New Zealand Education Law Association Conference, 2013.
- Australia and New Zealand Education Law Association Conference, 2014.
- Law Teacher of the Year, Faculty of Business and Law, Deakin University, 2015.
- Teaching Excellence, Faculty of Business and Law, Deakin University, 2014.
- Continuous Excellence, Faculty of Business and Law, Deakin University, 2013.
- Dr Ann Shorten Doctoral Thesis Award, Most Outstanding PhD Thesis in Education Law Research and its Contribution to Education Law and Practice, Australia and New Zealand Education Law Association, 2009.
M Teh, C Russo
(2018), pp. 39-58, The Palgrave handbook of education law for schools, Cham, Switzerland, B1
M Teh, S Chia
(2018), Vol. 1, pp. 73-92, Handbook of comparative education law, British commonwealth nations, Lanham, Md., B1
(2015), pp. 51-67, Global interest in student behavior : an examination of international best practices, Lanham, Md., B1
(2014), Vol. 15, pp. 252-268, Education law journal, Bristol, UK, C1
(2014), Vol. 19, pp. 55-71, International journal of law & education, Newcastle, N.S.W., C1
(2013), Vol. 14, pp. 200-216, Education law journal, Bristol, England, C1
B Tan, K Teh
(2013), pp. 275-290, Handbook of comparative higher education law, Plymouth, England, B1-1
M Teh, S Chia
(2012), pp. 227-238, Balancing freedom, autonomy and accountability in education : volume 4, Nijmegen, The Netherlands, B1
(2012), Vol. 17, pp. 73-86, International journal of law and education, Newcastle, N.S.W., C1
(2011), pp. 179-193, Legal rights of students with disabilities : international perspectives, Lanham, Md., B1-1
(2010), pp. 49-60, ANZELA 2010 : Proceedings of the 19th Australia and New Zealand Education Law Association Conference 2010, Sydney, N.S.W., E1-1
M Teh, K Stott
(2009), pp. 173-187, Employment rights of teachers : exploring education law worldwide, Lanham, Md., B1-1
(2009), pp. 37-47, ANZELA 2009 : Proceedings of the Australia and New Zealand Education Law Association Conference 2009, Melbourne, Vic., E1-1
(2008), Vol. 36, pp. 137-152, Education journal, Hong Kong, C1-1
(2008), Vol. 17, pp. 341-354, International journal of educational reform, Lancaster, Pa., C1-1
(2005), Vol. 1, pp. 119-131, International journal for education law and policy, Nijmegen, The Netherlands, C1-1
Funded Projects at Deakin
No Funded Projects at Deakin found
No completed student supervisions to report