Sarah Hayes is an urban archaeologist and material culture specialist working primarily within the Heritage and Indigeneity stream. Her research has two broad purposes:
- To examine the culturally distinctive relationship that Australians have with material culture and how this relates to national identity, social mobility, equality, quality of life and sustainability.
- To utilise, enhance and publicise the value of archaeological artefact assemblages as a heritage, research and exhibition resource.
Her current research for her Australian Research Council Discovery Early Career Researcher Award is on how the Gold Rush shaped quality of life in Victoria’s cities and the factors that determine individual participation in employment and society. This project will also look at similarities and differences in cultural values between the Gold Rush cities of Melbourne, Bendigo, San Francisco, Sacramento and Dunedin.
Sarah is co-editor of the Australasian Historical Archaeology journal, member of the Heritage Council’s Archaeology and Underwater Cultural Heritage Committee and honorary associate with Museum Victoria.Read more on Sarah's profile
Historical archaeology; material culture studies; urban life; consumerism; Gold Rushes; social mobility; quality of life; archaeological collections management
- Honorary Associate, Museum Victoria
- Honorary Associate, Archaeology and History, La Trobe University
- Editor, Australasian Historical Archaeology journal
- Board member, Heritage Council of Victoria- Archaeology & Underwater Cultural Heritage Committee
- Member, Centre for Archaeology of the Modern World
A selection of interviews can be found here.
S Hayes, Barbara Minchinton
(2019), Vol. 7, pp. 103-115, The commonwealth block, Melbourne: a historical archaeology, Sydney, N.S.W., B1
(2019), pp. 1-32, International journal of historical archaeology, New York, N.Y., C1
(2018), Vol. 22, pp. 100-116, International journal of historical archaeology, New York, N.Y., C1
S Hayes, B Minchinton
(2016), Vol. 82, pp. 12-24, Australian archaeology, Abingdon, Eng., C1
(2014), Vol. 32, pp. 37-46, Australasian historical archaeology : journal of the Australasian Society for Historical Archaeology, North Parramatta, N.S.W., C1-1
(2011), Vol. 73, pp. 13-24, Australian archaeology, Abingdon, Eng., C1
(2011), Vol. 29, pp. 33-44, Australasian historical archaeology, Sydney, N.S.W., C1-1
Charlotte Smith, S Hayes
(2010), Vol. 6, pp. 171-187, Collections: a journal for museums and archives professionals, Lanham, Md., C1-1
(2007), Vol. 25, pp. 87-103, Australasian historical archaeology, Sydney, N.S.W., C1-1
(2005), Vol. 28, pp. 4-14, Artefact: the journal of the Archaeological and Anthropological Society of Victoria, Carlton, Vic., C1-1
Funded Projects at Deakin
Australian Competitive Grants
An Archaeology of Quality of Life During VictoriaÂ¿s Gold Rush
Dr Sarah Hayes
ARC DECRA - Discovery Early Career Researcher Award
- 2018: $183,990
No completed student supervisions to report