Dr Sohel Azad is a Senior Lecturer in the Department of Finance in Deakin Business School. Previously, Sohel held lecturer and assistant professor positions at various universities in Bangladesh and Japan. He was a Visiting Research Fellow at Kobe Gakuin University in Japan and the American University of Sharjah in UAE. He earned his PhD in Finance from Monash University in 2012. Prior to this, he did an MSc in Development Economics from Ritsumeikan APU with the highest CGPA among the graduating class and, a Bachelor and Masters in Business Administration in Finance with first classes from the University of Chittagong in Bangladesh.
Sohel has published in various finance and economics journals that include Journal of Financial Research, Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money; International Review of Finance, International Review of Financial Analysis, Emerging Markets Review, Economic Modelling and Applied Economics. He also obtained some domestic and international research grants. Sohel presented his research papers in various domestic and international seminars and conferences.
His research interests include Islamic finance and banking, modelling and decomposing volatility and correlations in financial markets; financial contagion and asset pricing.
In addition to Sohel's research performance, he has received the AAUT citation Award 2018 and Deakin University Vice-Chancellor Award for teaching in 2017.Read more on Sohel's profile
- Senior Lecturer in Finance at Deakin University, Melbourne, since January 2016.
- Lecturer in Finance at Deakin University, Melbourne, 2011-2015.
- Visiting Scholar, American University of Sharjah, UAE, 2015-2016.
- Sessional staff in Accounting and Finance at Monash University, Caulfield Campus, 2008-2011.
- Visiting Lecturer, Ritsumeikan APU, Japan, 2008.
- Visiting Research Fellow, Kobe Gakuin University, Japan, 2004-2005.
- Lecturer/Assistant Professor in Finance, University of Chittagong, 1999-2004.
- Islamic finance and banking
- Volatility and risk modelling
- Macroeconomic risk
- Financial markets
- Reviewer, Journal of Banking and Finance, Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Economic Modelling and Research in International Business and Finance.
- Treasury Operations
- International Finance and Investment
- Business Finance
- MAF367 - Treasury Operations
- MAF203 - Business Finance
- MAF306 - International Finance and Investment
- MAF760 - International Finance
- 'Religiosity, Neglected risk and Asset Returns in Islamic Finance Industry', 3rd Chapman Conference on Money and Finance, Chapman University, USA, 4 May 2018.
- 'Can Islamic Banking Prevent Asset Price Bubble?', ICIBF Conference, Saudi Arabia, 2016.
- 'Why is interest free Islamic banking not free from interest?', Seminar Series, American University of Sharjah, UAE, December 2015.
- 'Why is interest-free Islamic banking not free from interest?', Asia Pacific Association of Derivatives (APAD) Conference, South Korea, December 2015.
- 'Islamic Banking and Asset Price Bubbles', IBF Islamic Finance, Lancaster University, UK, June 2014.
- 'IIBR-LIBOR Relationship and the Nature and Determinants of “Islamic Premium”', Asia Pacific Association of Derivatives (APAD) Conference, South Korea, 23-24 August 2013.
- 'Market Inefficiency and Trade-induced Manipulations: Evidence from Emerging Markets', Higher Moments, Risk Management and Financial Markets Symposium, Vietnam, January 2013.
- 'Pricing Business Cycle, Skewness and Correlation Risk in US Swap Market', Asia Pacific Association of Derivatives (APAD) Conference, South Korea, 23-24 August 2012.
- 'Measuring Swap Market Links via Volatility Transmissions and Contagion: What Are We Really Picking Up?', Accounting and Corporate Governance Seminar Series, Macquarie University, Australia, 17 March 2011.
- 'Financial Integration and Swap Market Links Under Two-component Volatility Model: Evidence from the Major Swap Market', Midwest Finance Association Conference, USA, 2-5 March 2011.
- OBS (OITA), Japan: Micro Finance, National Heritage Sites and Festivals of Bangladesh.
- Monash Graduate Research Scholarship, Monash University, 2008-2011.
- Faculty of Business and Economics Scholarship, Monash University, 2008-2011.
- Makita Scholarship, Japan, 2006-2008.
- United Nations University Academic Excellence Award, 2006
- Japanese Government Scholarship (JASSO), 2005-2006.
- Research Grants from Ritsumeikan Asia Pacific University, 2005 and 2007.
- Visiting Research Fellowship, Kobe Gakuin University, Japan, 2004-2005.
- Faculty Research Grants in 2013 (Amount: $8,000): Exposing the Interest Rate Swap Spreads: Australian Evidence (Joint investigator) with Vincent (Joint Investigator) and Fang (Mentor).
- Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (Amount: $18,108): Accounting Standards and Misrepresentation of Islamic Financial Instruments Risk with Ahsan and Azmat (joint investigators).
Abdelaziz Chazi, Ali Mirzaei, Zaher Zantout, Asm Azad
(2020), Vol. 52, pp. 361-374, Applied economics, Abingdon, Eng., C1
H Kim, A Azad
(2020), pp. 1-28, Singapore economic review, Singapore, C1
S Azmat, A Azad, M Bhatti, H Ghaffar
(2020), Vol. 43, pp. 263-303, Journal of financial research, Chichester, Eng., C1
Saad Azmat, A Azad, Hamza Ghaffar, A Hayat Muhammad, Abdelaziz Chazi
(2020), Vol. 62, pp. 1-19, Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, C1
M Abedin, C Guotai, F Moula, A Azad, M Khan
(2019), Vol. 24, pp. 474-507, International journal of finance and economics, Chichester, Eng., C1
A Azad, Saad Azmat, Abdul Hayat Muhammad
(2019), pp. 1-15, International review of economics & finance, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, C1
A Azad, A Chazi, P Cooper, A Ahsan
(2018), Vol. 45, pp. 349-356, Research in international business and finance, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, C1
A Azad, S Azmat, A Chazi, A Ahsan
(2018), Vol. 35, pp. 120-136, Emerging markets review, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, C1
A Azad, S Azmat, A Chazi, A Ahsan
(2018), Vol. 57, pp. 1-16, Journal of international financial markets, institutions and money, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, C1
K Al-Hilu, A Azad, A Chazi, A Khallaf
(2017), Vol. 53, pp. 1573-1588, Emerging markets finance and trade, Abingdon, Eng., C1
A Azad, A Chazi, P Cooper, A Ahsan
(2017), Vol. 41, pp. 354-361, Research in international business and finance, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, C1
A Azad, J Batten, V Fang, J Wickramanayake
(2015), Vol. 47, pp. 355-371, Economic Modelling, C1
A Azad, J Batten, V Fang
(2015), Vol. 40, pp. 1-13, International Review of Financial Analysis, C1
A Sohel Azad, A Ahsan, V Fang
(2014), pp. 143-159, Emerging Markets and the Global Economy: A Handbook, B1
A Azad, S Azmat, V Fang, P Edirisuriya
(2014), Vol. 30, pp. 51-71, Research in International Business and Finance, C1
C Hung, A Azad, V Fang
(2014), Vol. 31, pp. 14-29, Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, C1
A Azad, S Yasushi, V Fang, A Ahsan
(2014), Vol. 32, pp. 159-171, Research in International Business and Finance, C1
A Sohel Azad, V Chheang, A Ahsan
(2014), Vol. 19, pp. 311-321, Tourism analysis, Putnam Valley, NY, C1
V Fang, A Sohel Azad, J A. Batten, C Lin
(2012), Vol. 94, pp. 379-398, Contemporary Studies in Economic and Financial Analysis, B1
A Azad, V Fang, C Hung
(2012), Vol. 22, pp. 38-47, International Review of Financial Analysis, C1
A Azad, S Azmat
(2011), pp. 291-297, Financial Contagion: The Viral Threat to the Wealth of Nations, B1-1
A Sohel Azad, V Fang, J Wickramanayake
(2011), Vol. 11, pp. 353-390, International Review of Finance, C1-1
A Sohel Azad
(2009), Vol. 23, pp. 93-118, Asian Economic Journal, C1-1
(2009), Vol. 23, pp. 322-338, Research in International Business and Finance, C1-1
M Jahur, A Azad
(2004), Vol. 51, pp. 73-89, Journal of the institute of bankers Bangladesh, [Dhaka, Bangladesh], C1-1
S Azad, M Shamsuddoha, T Arif
(2004), pp. 1-9, Enhancing Performance : Agenda for Growth : proceedings of the Prestige Institute of Management and Research (PIMR) national conference, Indore, India, January 29-30, 2004, Indore, India, E1-1
Funded Projects at Deakin
No Funded Projects at Deakin found
Thi Anh Thu Pham
Thesis entitled: Studies of firm efficiency on stock returns
Doctor of Philosophy, Department of Finance