Theo Alexander is an Associate Professor in Deakin Law School and a practising barrister at the Victorian Bar. He teaches in sentencing law and the law of evidence and practices in commercial and criminal law.
Theo holds a PhD with a thesis entitled: ‘A Rational Approach to Sentencing White-Collar Offenders’ and a Masters degree by research discussing the right to silence in concurrent civil and criminal proceedings.
His academic work has been cited in the case law, eg Davis (a Pseudonym) v The Queen  VSCA 272.
Theo has published widely in professional and academic journals, both in Australia and internationally, including the Melbourne University Law Review, Monash University Law Review, Sydney Law Review, University of New South Wales Law Journal, Albany Law Review and the Journal of Commonwealth Criminal Law.
He is also the co-author of three law texts:
Australian Human Rights Law (CCH, 2011)
Uniform Evidence Law: Principles and Practice (CCH, 2015)
Australian Sentencing Law (Thomson Reters, 2018).
Theo is an editor of the loose-leaf/online service Australian Sentencing and contributing author for The Laws of Australia on terrorism offences. Theo has given expert evidence to a Senate Economic References Committee, specifically addressing penalties for white-collar crimes.Read more on Theo's profile
- Sentencing and white-collar crime
- Sentencing Law
- Evidence Law
- Criminal Law
- Australian Human Rights Law
- Commercial Law/Corporations Law
- Criminal Law/Criminal Appeals
- Corporate Crime/White-collar crime
- Regulatory (ASIC, ATO, ACCC) Investigations/Prosecutions
- Whats wrong with the Evidence Act?, ICU Seminars, Australia, 2018
- Ethics Update: Cases and Development, Leo Cussen Centre for Law, Australia, 2016.
- The New Uniform Law: ethical implications, State Revenue Office, Australia, 2015.
- Ethics: a review, the Australian Securities and Investments Commission, Australia, 2015.
- The Ethics of Advising, Legalwise Seminars, Australia, 2014.
- Justice miscarried: update on the new appeals regime, ICU Seminars, Australia, 2013.
- Ethics for Corporate Lawyers, Australian Corporate Lawyers Association - State Conference, Australia, 2012
- Theo has appeared in the media in relation to a number of publicised cases in which he has acted for accused persons.
- Legal Education, Theo has delivered papers on ethics, white-collar crime and appellate practice for professional CPD providers, law firms, the Law of Institute of Victoria, Leo Cussen Institute, and various government agencies, including ASIC.
- Pro Bono, Theo volunteers his time to train and judge students in advocacy, mooting and witness examination competitions at the Melbourne, Monash, Deakin and La Trobe Universities. He was also a debater in the 2010 and 2015 Legal Comedy Debates.