Tom earned his BA (First Class Honours) from Deakin in 2012, and in 2013 was awarded Deakin University's Vice-Chancellor's Prize and an Australian Postgraduate Award scholarship to fund his doctoral studies.
His PhD research critically analysed transgender representation in a range of media for young people.
He is currently working on some small research projects with Ann Vickery (on transgender poetry, funded by a grant from Deakin University) and Dylan Holdsworth (on horror cinema, disability, and transgender).
At Deakin he teaches into a number of disciplines, including Gender and Sexuality Studies, Children's Literature Studies, Literary Studies, and Media Studies.
He has had peer-reviewed journal articles published in Journal of Gender Studies and Outskirts: feminisms along the edge.Read more on Thomas's profile
Tom Sandercock is a Casual Academic in Writing and Literature and Gender and Sexuality Studies in the School of Communication and Creative Arts at Deakin University. His research and teaching interests include gender and sexuality studies, LGBT studies, children's and young adult literature and media, literary and cultural studies, and gender and sexual representation.
- Transgender Representation
- Gender Diversity
- LGBTQI Representation
- Children's and Young Adult Media
- Literature and Screen Texts
- Australian Literature
Australasian Children's Literature Association for Research (2014-Present)
National Tertiary Education Union
- Gender and Sexuality Studies
- LGBT Studies
- Literature, Television, and Film
- Children's Literature Studies
- ALL256: Gender, Sex and Literature
- AGS102: Histories of Sex and Gender
- AGS101: Sex and Gender: Ideas That Changed the World
- ALL375: Shakespeare: Six Plays, Six Worlds
- ALL260: Australian Literature
- ALL153: Literature for Children and Young Adults
- ALL154: Power Politics and Texts for Young People
- ALL326: Material Girls, Material Boys (Unit Coordinator in 2016)
- ALC104: Media Genres: Negotiating Textual Forms And Pleasures
- LIT124: Children's Literature: The Oral Tradition (at Charles Sturt University)
Literary Studies, Cultural Studies, Media Studies
Gender and Sexuality Studies and LGBT Studies
Gender and Sexual Representation
Children's and Young Adult Literature and Media
- Deakin University Post-PhD Prize, 2017
- Deakin University HDR Publication Prize, 2016
- Letter recognising Excellence in Teaching from Associate Dean (Teaching and Learning). Faculty of Arts and Education, Deakin University, 2015
- Australian Postgraduate Award (APA) Scholarship, 2013-2016.
- Deakin University Vice-Chancellor’s Prize, 2013
(2017), Diversity in gender and visual representation, Basingstoke, Eng., B1
(2015), Vol. 24, pp. 436-452, Journal of gender studies, Abingdon, Eng., C1
(2014), Vol. 30, pp. 7-7, Outskirts, Perth, W. A., C1
Funded Projects at Deakin
No Funded Projects at Deakin found
No completed student supervisions to report