Professor Yu Kit “Simon” Fung is a Professor in the Department of Accounting in Deakin Law School. Simon's research primarily focuses on the quality and use of financial accounting information in capital market decisions, amid the prevalence of information asymmetries in US and international financial markets. His works follow a theme surrounding the concept of the quality of financial disclosures as a mechanism to ensure the protection of capital providers, which is a joint outcome of the financial statement attributes, management incentives, the quality of the information intermediaries (such as auditors and securities analysts), and other corporate governance mechanisms. Simon’s papers are published in journals such as The Accounting Review, Journal of Accounting and Economics, Contemporary Accounting Research, Management Science, Journal of International Business Studies, Accounting, Organizations, and Society, Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, among others.
Simon’s objective of teaching in professional accounting is to produce graduates that are professionally competent as well as ready for employment. He believes that proper teaching involves not simply the delivery of updated and technically relevant contents, but more importantly the cultivation of an inquisitive mind as well as the appropriate learning attitude in an upright manner. These qualities enable the student not only to contribute positively to the society and the employing entity but also to live as a respectable member of the society with the ability to learn independently and persistently beyond the curriculum of their professional fields.
He has also contributed to the University through various works and appointments that could raise the presence and reputation of the Department and the University, such as involvements in local and international accreditation exercises, research collaborations with international academic institutions, and the securing external research funding.Read more on Simon's profile
- Financial Accounting
- Effects of Regulations
- Associate Editor, Journal of Contemporary Accounting and Economics.
- Member, Accounting and Finance Association of Australia and New Zealand (AFAANZ).
- Member, American Accounting Association (AAA).
- Member, Canadian Academic Accounting Association (CAAA).
- Member, European Accounting Association(EAA)
- Member, Institute of Financial Accountants (IFA).
- Member, Institute of Public Accountants (IPA).
- Advanced Auditing
- Professional Research and Analysis
- Management Accounting
- 'The Effect of Clawback Adoptions on Management Earnings Forecasts', Journal of Contemporary Accounting and Economics (JCAE) Annual Symposium 2018, Journal of Contemporary Accounting and Economics (JCAE), Indonesia, 10-12 January 2018.
- 'Tainted by Association? Non-culpable Signing Partners and Reputation Loss Following Enforcement Action against Audit Clients', European Accounting Association (EAA) Congress 2018, European Accounting Association (EAA), Italy, 30 May - 1 June 2018.
- Ideas (RESEARCH) for top-tier publication excellence, Faculty of Business and Law, 2017.
- Economics of Financial Information Intermediaries
- Effects of Corporate Governance Regulations
- Political Economy and Corporate Political Activities
D Bao, S Fung, L Su
(2018), Vol. 35, pp. 1578-1615, Contemporary accounting research, Chichester, Eng., C1
S Fung, K Raman, X Zhu
(2017), Vol. 64, pp. 15-36, Journal of accounting and economics, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, C1
S Fung, G Zhou, X Zhu
(2016), Vol. 47, pp. 263-294, Journal of international business studies, London, Eng., C1
(2016), Vol. 56, pp. 205-215, Accounting and finance, Richmond, Vic., C1
Y Fung, F Gul, S Radhakrishnan
(2015), Vol. 43, pp. 67-86, Accounting, organizations and society, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, C1-1
S Fung, K Raman, L Sun, L Xu
(2015), Vol. 34, pp. 417-436, Journal of accounting and public policy, New York, N.Y., C1-1
Y Fung, F Gul, S Radhakrishnan
(2014), Vol. 60, pp. 1297-1316, Management science, Hanover, Md., C1-1
S Fung, L Su, R Gul
(2013), Vol. 32, pp. 392-409, Journal of accounting and public policy, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, C1-1
S Fung, J Goodwin
(2013), Vol. 9, pp. 67-82, Journal of contemporary accounting and economics, London, Eng., C1-1
S Fung, F Gul, J Krishnan
(2012), Vol. 87, pp. 1281-1307, Accounting review, Ann Arbor, Mich., C1-1
(2012), Vol. 19, pp. 115-118, Asia-Pacific journal of accounting and economics, Abingdon, Eng., C1-1
S Fung, L Su, X Zhu
(2010), Vol. 27, pp. 829-854, Contemporary accounting research, Hoboken, N.J., C1-1
F Gul, S Fung, B Jaggi
(2009), Vol. 47, pp. 265-287, Journal of accounting and economics, Amsterdam, Netherlands., C1-1
Funded Projects at Deakin
No Funded Projects at Deakin found
No completed student supervisions to report