About the Deakin UK and Europe Alumni Chapter
The UK has long drawn Australian residents with the opportunity to live and work abroad and to experience the European region. Deakin Alumni are strongly represented among them.
With these global citizens in mind, the Deakin University UK and Europe Alumni Chapter was officially launched in London in July 2016.
To ensure strong and mutual beneficial ties, the chapter aims to develop, foster and maintain meaningful alumni connections, host engaging events, and help maintain life-long connection with Deakin.
We welcome alumni in the region to connect with us, attend our events, and let us know your thoughts, ideas and feedback in order to help us create a dynamic alumni community here in the UK and Europe.
The chapter is governed by a committee, whom are responsible for managing the affairs of the chapter. The committee have an agreed, documented Terms of Reference helping guide its activities, responsibilities and decision making processes.
As at January 2017, the Committee members are:
President: Mr Pasan Muthumala
After a six-week Contiki stint in 2008, Pasan took a year off from his employer and left Australia in 2009 for more European travels. After eight years, he's still in London. Pasan recently got married and managed to convince his wife to move from Queensland to London. Pasan is currently doing an MBA and works in the medical imaging industry (Healthcare Technology). His hobbies include competitive swimming for a club in London, and in open water swims.
Pasan is really excited to be part of the committee and he looks forward to organising events to meet the rest of the alumni in the UK.
Deputy President: Mr Trevor Dean
Trevor graduated from Deakin in 2004, completing a Bachelor of Arts with Distinction, majoring in PR and Journalism. Although enrolled at Deakin’s Geelong Waurn Ponds Campus, he also spent a semester abroad studying PR and Marketing in Arhus, Denmark.
Trevor has enjoyed a wide variety of career experiences, holding senior event management and community engagement roles – managing major events, government protocols and VIP visits, stakeholder engagement and consultation projects, PR/CSR/Marketing campaigns and managing major sponsorships, corporate partnerships and community relations activities.
Trevor has previously held several Board Directorships in both the Charitable and Arts sectors, and with several Professional Industry and Member Associations.
Trevor and his partner relocated from Melbourne in 2016 to live and work in London, and to be closer to family and friends in Europe. Trevor is currently a Business Manager with the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (ICAEW).
Committee Member: Miss Melanie Orvis
For upcoming alumni events, please visit the Deakin events calendar.
- 9 May 2019: Copenhagen Alumni Dinner
- 8 May 2019: Oslo Comedy Night
- 28 March 2019: London West End Show - 9 to 5 The Musical
- 13 December 2018: End of Year Celebration - See photos
- 24 September 2018: Oslo Alumni Dinner
- 21 September 2018: Copenhagen Alumni Dinner
- 19 September 2018: Alumni Reception with the Vice-Chancellor - See photos
- 28 June 2018: London Alumni River Cruise – See photos
- 15 March 2018: London West End Show - Thriller Live
- 7 December 2017: End of Year Celebration
- 20 September 2017: Alumni Reception with the Vice-Chancellor - See photos
- 13 July 2017: Summer Cocktail Reception - See photos
- 6 April 2017: Candlelit Tour of the Sir John Soane’s Museum – See photos
- 5 July 2016: Summer Drinks – See photos