Get your hands on the tools to help you create and innovate
Our communication and creative arts students have access to professional standard equipment and facilities. Technology and expert guidance come together to provide our students with the best possible environment to inspire creativity.
Professional photographic lighting studio
- Two main studios for lighting production
- Extensive range of Profoto professional flash units and modifiers
- Overhead grid system for flash units
- Large format backdrops, still life and macro facilities
- Nikon full frame and Hasselblad medium format digital cameras
- Extensive range of Zeiss lenses
- Live streaming direct from camera to class lecture projection technology
- Enhanced Mac Pro towers
- Colour calibrated monitors for live capture
- Capture One, Phocus and full suite of Adobe software tools available
- Deakin cloud storage and image networking
Digital photographic printing and editing facilities
- Professional colour calibrated environment for digital photographic printing, viewing and editing – including GTI colour calibrated daylight viewing lights
- Colour managed workstations with EIZO 4k monitors and Epson P800 printers
- Epson large-format printer, fully ICC profiled for museum/gallery quality output
- Epson film scanners
- Access to museum quality archival inkjet papers
- Large print finishing work areas
- Full suite of Adobe software tools available
- Deakin cloud storage
Darkroom and film scanning facilities
- B&W film processing facilities; 35mm, 120 medium format and 4x5 large format
- B&W enlargers; 35mm, 120 medium format and 4x5 large format
- B&W paper tray processing facilities with extensive wet bench and paper dryer
- Light table, film trimming and editing area
- Hasselblad X5 and Epson film scanners
- Colour managed workstations with EIZO 4k monitors
- Viewing boards with GTI Colour calibrated daylight viewing lights
Visual Art studios
- Expansive open plan studios able to accommodate a range of practices
- Free standing easels and table workstations
- Professional printing press and associated materials
- Wash up sinks with in-built waste traps
- Large storage bays
- Moveable directional lighting for still-life set up and presentation of work
- Multiple HD projectors and AV workstation/s for lecture and/or student presentation
Gallery and presentation spaces
- Multiple presentation spaces available, varying in scale from intimate short term presentation spaces to large scale publicly accessible professional galleries
- Professional directional lighting
- Moveable walls to allow for space reconfiguration
- Professional hanging system
- Plinths, tools and AV equipment available
- Series of iMac computer labs with full suite of Adobe software tools available, as well as modelling, animation and video editing software
- Virtual reality (VR) and augmented reality (AR) hardware
- Extra-large flatbed scanning facilities
- Print trimming and finishing facilities
- Large collaborative and flexible work spaces
- Display boards and cabinets
- Access to Media Resource Centre and Printing facilities
Film, television and animation
Professional television studio
- Sony HD cameras
- Yamaha 64 channel digital audio desk
- Element controlled lighting rig
- EVS recording with multi file format USB 3.0 transfer
- Vision Switcher, Chyron graphics, Autoscript
- Green screen
- Sets and furniture
- Access to make up room
- Live streaming capability
- Stop motion workstations
- Light boxes for hand drawn animation
- LED lighting kit for puppet animation
- Camera motion-control workstation
- DragonFrame stop motion software
- Adobe Creative Suite
- TV Paint 2D animation software
- Wacom drawing tablets
- Control room, featuring AVID Protools HD System (Apple Mac) and AVID control surface hardware
- Studio features Grace and Audient mic preamps
- Microphone options include a range of Neumann, Rode and Sennheiser microphones
- Monitoring via Genelec and Avantone speaker systems
- Studio carries tie‐lines to both television and film studios for satellite tracking
- Caters to small class groups and individual project bookings
Editing and grading suites
- 2 iMac Pro powered suites with SDI Hardware scopes with Tangent wave panels for grading in DaVinci Resolve or VFX and compositing in Fusion, Flame or After Effects
- DCI P3 colour workflow for Red and Ursa Cameras
- EditShare EFS300 online storage, with over 300 TB available workspace for HD television and 2K or 4K film post production
- 18 Dual-monitor iMac workstations with a full complement of Media creation and Post Production software including Avid and ProTools, Adobe Creative Cloud and Streaming and DCP Mastering
- Media teaching corrals furnished with video data projectors, smart boards, and iMac workstations
- Full complement of Media creation and Post Production software including Avid and ProTools, Adobe Creative Cloud, and specialist animation toolsets
Media Resource Centre
- Extensive range of equipment available for student borrowing, as well as high level technical advice.
- Various camera systems available, including Blackmagic Pocket Cinema 4K, Blackmagic URSA Mini, RED Epic-W Helium 8K, ARRI Alexa Mini.
- Miller Tripod Systems.
- ARRI, Kino Flo and Dedolight lighting.
- Sound Devices & Zoom portable field recording equipment.
- Various Dolly / Grip equipment.
Deakin's state of-the-art technology includes ROE Black Pearl LED panels and high-grade Megapixel HELIOS processors which enable teaching, research and commercial activity.
For more information, contact email@example.com
Drama and dance
Black Box Theatre
- Black Box style theatre capable of seating 100.
- State of the art led lighting rig.
- Full production sound capabilities.
- Green room and Box office facilities attached to theatre.
- Large loading dock, scenic bay and production workshop.
- Fully sprung polished timber dance floor
- Full length mirrors
- Remote controlled blackout blinds
- Comprehensive production lighting and sound infrastructure
- Portable seating block (seats 120)
For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Seven large screens, streaming live news from around the world
- Three individual editing/VOX recording suites
- Editorial hub for developing and publishing stories
- Integrated infrastructure to Greenscreen and Television Studios
- Global video-conference facilities
- Online web-publication
- 24 workstations for individual publications
- Access to on site production equipment
- Sound recording booths, ideal for podcast production
For more information, contact email@example.com
Note that the use of school equipment will be prioritised to School of Communication and Creative Arts students.
For School of Communication and Creative Arts enquiries, please contact Bradley Axiak.