1 year part time
Current Deakin Students
To access your official course details for the year you started your degree, please visit the handbook
The Graduate Certificate of Education is designed for teachers and other professionals to undertake a focussed short-term study program and to gain credit for it. The course aims to provide students with a high quality program linked to their professional and career development needs in areas that are of priority for schools and systems.Read More
To be awarded a Graduate Certificate of Education, students must successfully complete 4 credit points of core units as detailed below and
2020 course information
Campuses by intake
Campus availability varies per trimester. This means that a course offered in Trimester 1 may not be offered in the same location for Trimester 2 or 3. Read more to learn where this course will be offered throughout the year.
Trimester 1 - March
- Start date: March
- Available at:
- Cloud Campus
Additional course information
Course duration - additional information
Course duration may be affected by delays in completing course requirements, such as accessing or completing work placements.
Mandatory student checks
Any unit which contains work integrated learning, a community placement or interaction with the community may require a police check, Working with Children Check or other check.
Reasonable adjustments to participation and other course requirements will be made for students with a disability. Click here for more information.
Ask a question about studying a at Deakin
Deakin University offers admission to postgraduate courses through a number of Admission categories.
All applicants must meet the minimum English language requirements.
Please note that meeting the minimum admission requirements does not guarantee selection, which is based on merit, likelihood of success and availability of places in the course.
For more information on the Admission Criteria and Selection (Higher Education Courses) Policy visit the Deakin Policy Library
Entry will be based on performance in:
- a Bachelor degree in any discipline OR
- at least two years of relevant work experience (or part-time equivalent)
Fees and scholarships
Learn more about fees and your options for paying.
The available fee places for this course are detailed above.
Tuition fees are determined by your enrolment:
- If you are offered a full fee paying place, your tuition fees are calculated based on your course.
- If you are offered a Commonwealth supported place, your tuition fees are calculated depending on the units you choose. Not all courses at Deakin have Commonwealth supported places available.
The 'Estimated tuition fee' is provided as a guide only based on a typical enrolment of students completing the first year of this course. The cost will vary depending on the units you choose, your study load, the length of your course and any approved Recognition of Prior Learning.
* One year full-time study load is typically represented by four credit points of study. Each unit you enrol in has a credit point value. The 'Estimated tuition fee' is calculated by adding together 4 credit points of a typical combination of units for your course.
You can find the credit point value of each unit under the Unit Description by searching for the unit in the Handbook.
Learn more about fees and available payment options.
What is FEE-HELP?
FEE-HELP loans cover up to 100% of tuition fees for eligible students. By taking out a FEE-HELP loan, the government pays your tuition fees directly to Deakin, and the balance is repaid from your employment income - but only once you're earning over $45,881.
Please note: fees shown by the calculator are indicative only and based on 2020 rates. Actual fees may vary. We advise confirming fees with Prospective Student Enquiries prior to enrolment.
Estimate your FEE-HELP repayments
after FEE-HELP and tax
Your estimated FEE-HELP repayments
- $* is the 2020 estimated tuition fee for a Graduate Certificate of Education (4 credit points) at Deakin
- is the annual FEE-HELP payment, based on your current salary
- of your current salary be spent on FEE-HELP
Deakin University (Deakin):
- gives no warranty and accepts no responsibility for the currency, accuracy or the completeness of the information provided;
- advises users that no reliance should be placed upon on the information provided, and;
- instructs users that they should confirm the actual course fee with Prospective Student Enquiries prior to enrolment.
This tool provides indicative information about the fees that will be payable in respect of courses and subjects offered to prospective students domiciled in Australia during the periods indicated.
Please note that the fees shown by the calculator are indicative only and actual fees may vary. Users are advised to confirm the actual course fee with Prospective Student Enquiries prior to enrolment.
The estimated course fee is based on the tuition fee costs applicable to a domestic full time student commencing the course in Trimester 1 and studying full time for the duration of the course but:
- does not include non-tuition costs that may apply, such as Student Services and Amenities Fees (SSAF);
- does not take into account any scholarships or bursaries awarded to the student (including the 15% Deakin Alumni Postgraduate Course Fee Bursary);
- assumes the maximum number of units that need to be successfully completed. Actual number completed may be reduced if Recognition of Prior Learning is granted;
- assumes that no exceptional, or non-typical, circumstances apply to the proposed course of study;
- assumes that the options that the user selects are appropriate for the course of study that they intend to undertake;
- where fees are estimated for future years those fee will be subject to annual increases in accordance with increases in the cost of course delivery.
A Deakin scholarship might change your life. If you've got something special to offer Deakin – or you just need the financial help to get you here – we may have a scholarship opportunity for you.
If you’re a Deakin alumnus commencing a postgraduate award course, you may be eligible to receive a 15% reduction per unit on your enrolment fees. Your Immediate Family Members may also be eligible to apply for this bursary.
How to apply
For more information on the application process and closing dates, see the How to apply webpage. If you're still having problems, please contact us for assistance.
Please complete the Register your interest form to receive further information about our direct application opportunities.
Frequently asked questions
What are the key study start dates?
Browse all start and finish dates for Deakin’s main study periods. You’ll also find dates relating to applications and prospective student events, plus a list of all public holidays and study breaks.
How much does it cost to study at Deakin?
Your tuition fees will depend on the type of student you are, the course you study and the year you start. Fees are based on an annual amount; they don't cover the entire duration of the course.
Use our fee estimator to gauge what your fees could be per year.
Can I speak to someone in person about my study options?
Yes! We regularly host a range of events including 1:1 consultations and information sessions, to assist you with your study options and career planning. Check out our upcoming events or contact our Prospective Student Enquiry Centre on 1800 693 888 for more information.
Am I eligible for a scholarship with this course?
Scholarships are available for domestic and international students at all study levels. Find a scholarship that works for you.
Can I claim recognition of prior learning (RPL) for this course?
In some courses, you can reduce your overall study time and tuition cost by getting your work and previous study experience recognised as recognition of prior learning (RPL).
Why choose Deakin
This course offers relevant professional learning to qualified teachers who seek to move into, or who already occupy, leadership, coordination, specialist or professional development positions in school systems, or who seek to move from school education to other education and training sectors.
For more information go to 'DeakinTALENT'
Course learning outcomes
Deakin's graduate learning outcomes describe the knowledge and capabilities graduates can demonstrate at the completion of their course. These outcomes mean that regardless of the Deakin course you undertake, you can rest assured your degree will teach you the skills and professional attributes that employers value. They'll set you up to learn and work effectively in the future.
Deakin Graduate Learning Outcomes
Course Learning Outcomes
Discipline specific knowledge and capabilities
|Demonstrate specialist knowledge of contemporary curriculum design, pedagogy, evidence-based assessment and program evaluation; apply this knowledge to research and in a range of professional learning and educational contexts.|
|Employ a range of oral and written communication skills and standards required of professional educators and learning professionals to be able to transmit complex knowledge in professional and scholarly contexts.|
|Demonstrate knowledge of and proficiency in a range of digital technologies to research, analyse, report, evaluate and communicate within education contexts.|
|Demonstrate specialist skills in the critical analysis and synthesis of complex ideas in professional education practice.|
|Demonstrate specialist skills in identifying, analysing and evaluating authentic problems of practice, and generate informed and innovative solutions.|
|Apply the knowledge and skills required of professional educators and learning professionals to demonstrate autonomy, judgement, adaptability and responsibility in education contexts and for further learning.|
|Work effectively and collaboratively in an interdisciplinary team to create solutions to authentic problems of practice.|
|Demonstrate advanced understanding of, and the capacity to engage ethically and productively in professional contexts with diverse communities and in a global context.|
Approved by Faculty Board 2014
* Application close dates vary. Some courses have limited places, apply early to avoid missing out.
Still haven't found what you are looking for?