2021 unit information
Our aim is to provide you with an optimal learning experience, regardless of how this unit is delivered.
For Semester 1/Trimester 1 2021, teaching will be delivered in line with the most current COVIDSafe health guidelines. This may include a mix of online and on-campus activities. Please check your unit sites for announcements and updates one week prior to the start of Semester/Trimester.
Thank you for your flexibility and commitment to studying with Deakin in 2021.
Last updated: 16 November 2020
This unit is only available to students enrolled in H355 Bachelor of Occupational Therapy
HBS109, HSE102, HSE208
Students will on average spend 150 hours over the teaching period undertaking the teaching, learning and assessment activities for this unit.
This level 2 unit builds on the bioscience units in first year: Human Structure and Function, Functional Human Anatomy, and Integrated Human Physiology. The unit focuses on neurological processes linked to sensory, motor and autonomic systems. The content includes: central nervous system organisation and function; cortical functions such as cognition, memory, perception and language; behaviour; and developmental issues in relation to the brain and central nervous system. Case studies are used to demonstrate: the implications of conditions or lesions to various parts of the nervous system; the resulting occupational performance and behavioural implications; commonly used clinical assessment tools and potential for occupational therapy.
Correctly use common neurological terms and explain common neurological conditions.
GLO1: Discipline-specific knowledge and capabilities
Describe anatomical and physiological features of the central nervous system, using correct terminology.
GLO3: Digital literacy
Describe biological and behavioural pathways to recovery following brain injury and other common neurological conditions.
GLO4: Critical thinking
Apply theory to describe and/or evaluate processes used in neurological practice settings.
Identify, analyse and clearly describe the impact of neurological impairment on occupational performance.
GLO5: Problem solving
Generate a concise and clearly written person-centred clinical report, appropriate for occupational therapy practice.
Grading and weighting(% total mark for unit)
Indicative due week
Assessment 1: Group assignment
Assessment 2: Written assignment
Assessment 3: Examination
10 assessment tasks throughout the trimester, end of trimester examination
Assessment tasks throughout the trimester 10%, end of trimester examination 40%Total 50%
The assessment due weeks provided may change. The Unit Chair will clarify the exact assessment requirements, including the due date, at the start of the teaching period.
The texts and reading list for the unit can be found on the University Library via the link below: HSO207 Note: Select the relevant trimester reading list. Please note that a future teaching period's reading list may not be available until a month prior to the start of that teaching period so you may wish to use the relevant trimester's prior year reading list as a guide only.
Click on the fee link below which describes you: