Applications for Trimester 1 2020 open 27 August 2019.
Applications for Trimester 1 2020 close 12 February 2020 5pm.
Cash payments up to $10 000 per year.
The maximum value of this scholarship is $40 000.
To be eligible you must:
- be an Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander person
- be enrolled full time in Trimester 1 2020 at Deakin University in the Faculty of Health in one of the following:
- an undergraduate bachelor degree
- a postgraduate by coursework degree
- a graduate certificate or graduate diploma
- be receiving a means-tested Centrelink benefit or can demonstrate personal or family taxable income below $56 000 depending on independence status.
Scholarship recipients will be required to:
- write an introduction statement about their goals for study and what it means to receive the scholarship
- complete a yearly impact statement for the duration of the scholarship
- maintain a minimum Weighted Average Mark (WAM) of 60 for the duration of the scholarship
- attend a meet and greet with the donor.
Recipients of this scholarship cannot hold more than one scholarship concurrently.
As part of the application process, you will also be required to upload current supporting documentation.
When you apply for this scholarship, you'll need to supply evidence of your financial hardship.
Make sure you choose the correct document type when you upload your documents as it will make a difference. If your documents are uploaded into the incorrect type they will not be considered when assessing your application. Remember it is quality, not quantity, which you need to provide. Aim to provide documents which are current, relevant and concise.
Applying for a scholarship isn’t just about meeting the eligibility criteria.
It’s a good idea to think about why you want a scholarship, how it will help you and what you have to offer the Deakin community.
How to apply
Apply through VTAC
If you’re applying to study at Deakin through VTAC and you complete a VTAC scholarship application, you’ll automatically be considered for this scholarship.
Apply directly to Deakin
If you are a commencing student who has deferred a previous year's course offer you can apply for this scholarship directly through our Course and Scholarship Applicant Portal.
What happens next?
Your application will be assessed and ranked based on the details you provide and your supporting documentation.
You'll find out if you were successful usually within six weeks of the application closing date. You can view the status of your application via your Course and Scholarship Applicant Portal account.
About the donor
This scholarship is generously supported by the Norman Beischer Medical Research Foundation.