Deakin University recognises that Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders remain under-represented in Science, Technology, Engineering, Architecture and Maths (STEAM) – including our Higher Degrees by Research (HDR) cohort and in our academic staff. Deakin is committed to diversity and inclusion, and recently we have made major strides in improving diversity in our school and faculty leadership team.
To help promote long term change, we are offering a scholarship to support an Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander student to work on a research project within the Faculty of Science, Engineering & Built Environment (SEBE).
The Faculty of Science, Engineering and Built Environment (SEBE) operates across 4 campuses (Burwood - Melbourne, Geelong Waterfront, Geelong Waurn Ponds and Warrnambool) and two research stations (Queenscliff, VIC and Griffith, NSW). SEBE consists of four schools, each with a multi-discipline mix of teaching and research offerings and a strong emphasis on research excellence that informs our teaching programs:
- Science: School of Life and Environmental Sciences (Biological Science, Biomedical Science, Biotechnology, Fisheries and Aquaculture, Forensic Science, Environmental Management and Sustainability, Marine Biology, Sustainable Regional Development, Wildlife and Conservation Biology, Zoology and Animal Science) including the Centre for Regional and Rural Futures (CeRRF) and the Centre for Integrative Ecology (CIE).
- Technology: School of Information Technology (Computer Science, Creative Technologies, Cyber Security, Data Science, Software Engineering, Virtual Reality, Mathematics) including the Centre for Cyber Security Research and Innovation (CSRI).
- Engineering: School of Engineering (Civil, Electrical and Renewable Energy, Engineering Management, Environmental Engineering, Mechanical, Mechatronics, and Mechanical Design);
- Architecture: School of Architecture and Built Environment (Architecture, Construction Management);
- Mathematics: modelling of any description in any of the above schools as appropriate for the project
Applications close 5pm, Thursday 30 April 2020.
This scholarship is available over 3 years.
- Stipend of $28,092 per annum tax exempt (2020 rate)
- Relocation allowance of $500-1500 (for single to family) for students moving from interstate or overseas
To be eligible you must:
- be a domestic candidate
- meet Deakin's PhD entry requirements
- be enrolling full time and hold an honours degree (first class) or an equivalent standard master's degree with a substantial research component
- be an Australian Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander student
Please refer to the research degree entry pathways page for further information.
How to apply
Please apply using the expression of interest form
For more information about this scholarship, please contact Prof Yin Paradies
Prof Yin Paradies
Coordinator Indigenous Knowledges and Culture
Email Yin Paradies
+61 3 924 43873