Deakin University and the China Scholarship Council (CSC) established a joint funding program in October 2018 providing scholarship opportunities and placements to Chinese students who either study for Deakin University PhD degrees or conduct research as visiting PhD students, hosted post-doctoral fellows or visiting scholars.
This particular program is to undertake a PhD at Deakin University for up to 4 years.
Fields of co-operation
The favourably-sponsored areas of study for this program include but are not limited to the following areas:
- Information and Technology
- Material Sciences
- Life and Environmental Sciences
- Marine Science and Aquaculture
- Energy and Environment
- Nutrition and Physical Activities
- Public Health
- Intelligent Systems and Smarter Technologies
- Artificial Intelligence
- Education, Communication and Social Sciences
- Other areas of study approved by CSC and Deakin University
Expressions of Interest close 5pm, Monday 11 January 2021.
Full applications close 5pm, Monday 1 February 2021.
Benefits from China Scholarship Council
- Living allowance in the form of a stipend plus student health insurance for the duration of up to 4 years
- Australian visa application fees and a return international economy airfare to Australia
Benefits from Deakin University
- Tuition fee waiver for 4 years
- Top-up to increase the CSC stipend to the Research Training Program stipend amount (AUD $28,082 per annum tax exempt - 2020 rate) for the same duration as the CSC stipend
To be eligible you must:
- be a citizen of the People's Republic of China at the time of application
- be enrolling full time and on-campus at Deakin University
- meet all Deakin admission entry requirements, including English proficiency
- be intending to pursue a PhD in one of the priority areas identified above
- satisfy any other selection criteria set out by the China Scholarship Council.
Please refer to the research degree entry pathways page for further eligibility information. Please refer to step 5 of the how to apply page for further information on English proficiency requirements.
Deakin University strongly recommends that candidates familiarise themselves with the CSC scholarship's specific conditions on the CSC website prior to applying to the program.
How to apply
You need to apply to Deakin University by following the instructions on our How to Apply page. Based on your proposed field of study, you may need to submit an Expression of Interest prior to submitting a full application.
Applicants submitting a full application should select scholarship type "China Scholarship Council - Deakin University Joint Funding Program."
Deakin University will evaluate applications and send successful candidates a letter of acceptance. Accepted PhD candidates should then apply to the China Scholarship Council.
For details on funding available for visiting PhD students, post-doctoral fellows or visiting scholars, please see the China Scholarship Council - Deakin University Joint Funding Program.
For more information about this scholarship, please email International Research Training within the Graduate Research Academy.