Deakin University and the China Scholarship Council (CSC) established a Joint Funding Program in October 2018 providing scholarship opportunities and placements to Chinese students who either study for Deakin University's PhD degree or conduct research as visiting PhD students, hosting post-doctoral fellows and visiting scholars.
Fields of co-operation
The favourably-sponsored areas of study for this program include but are not limited to the following areas:
- Information and Technology
- Material Sciences
- Life and Environmental Sciences
- Marine Science and Aquaculture
- Energy and Environment
- Nutrition and Physical Activities
- Public Health
- Intelligent Systems and Smarter Technologies
- Artificial Intelligence
- Education, Communication and Social Sciences
- Other areas of study approved by CSC and Deakin University
Applications close 5pm, Thursday 31 January 2019.
Benefits from China Scholarship Council
- Stipend of AUD $20,400 per annum tax exempt (2019 rate) for up to 2 years
- Australian visa application fees and a return international airfare to Australia
- Deakin University will provide the necessary resources and equipment (office, laboratory, computer, network, library access, etc.) for the duration of the visit.
Benefits from Deakin University
To be eligible you must:
- be a citizen of the People's Republic of China at the time of application;
- meet all Deakin admission entry requirements, including English proficiency;
- be intending to pursue a PhD in one of the priority areas identified above;
- Satisfy any other selection criteria set out by the China Scholarship Council.
Please refer to the research degree entry pathways page for further information.
Deakin University strongly recommends that candidates familiarise themselves with the CSC scholarship`s specific conditions on the CSC website prior to applying to the program.
How to apply
To apply for CSC funding as a visiting PhD student at Deakin University, candidates must first to find a supervisor to oversee their research while in Australia. A list of Deakin researchers and their contact details can be found Deakin's find a researcher website. The candidates should contact the relevant School or Institute or potential supervisors directly to discuss their research topic and ensure that Deakin is willing to support their visit to Australia. The submission deadline for visiting PhD applicants to Deakin is Thursday January 31, 2019. The successful candidates will receive a copy of acceptance by Friday March 1, 2019.
Accepted candidates should then apply to CSC by Friday April 5, 2019.
For details on funding available for visiting PhD students, post-doctoral fellows or visiting scholars, please see the China Scholarship Council (CSC) - Deakin University Joint Funding Program website.
For more information about this scholarship, please email HDR International Partnerships within the Graduate Research Academy.