Deakin University and the China Scholarship Council (CSC) established a joint funding program in October 2018 providing scholarship opportunities and placements to Chinese students who either study for Deakin University PhD degrees or conduct research as visiting PhD students, hosted post-doctoral fellows or visiting scholars.
This particular program is for Chinese visiting PhD students for up to 2 years (24 months).
Fields of co-operation
The favourably-sponsored areas of study for this program include but are not limited to the following areas:
- Information and Technology
- Material Sciences
- Life and Environmental Sciences
- Marine Science and Aquaculture
- Energy and Environment
- Nutrition and Physical Activities
- Public Health
- Intelligent Systems and Smarter Technologies
- Artificial Intelligence
- Education, Communication and Social Sciences
- Other areas of study approved by CSC and Deakin University
Applications close 5pm, Friday 10 January 2020
Benefits from China Scholarship Council
- Living allowance in the form of a stipend plus student health insurance for the duration of up to 2 years
- Australian visa application fees and a return international economy airfare to Australia
Benefits from Deakin University
- Necessary resources and equipment (office, laboratory, computer, network, library access, etc.) for the duration of the visit.
To be eligible you must:
- be a citizen of the People's Republic of China at the time of application
- meet all Deakin admission entry requirements, including English proficiency
- be intending to pursue a PhD in one of the priority areas identified above
- satisfy any other selection criteria set out by the China Scholarship Council.
Please refer to the research degree entry pathways page for further eligibility information.
Deakin University strongly recommends that candidates familiarise themselves with the CSC scholarship's specific conditions on the CSC website prior to applying to the program.
How to apply
Prior to applying for CSC funding as a visiting PhD student at Deakin University, candidates must first find a supervisor to oversee their research while in Australia. A list of Deakin researchers and their contact details can be found Deakin's find a researcher website.
Candidates should then contact the relevant School or Institute or potential supervisors directly to discuss their research topic and ensure that Deakin is willing to support their visit to Australia.
The School or Institute will provide specific instructions on how to apply for a visiting PhD scholarship.
Deakin University will evaluate applications and send successful candidates a letter of acceptance. Accepted PhD candidates should then apply to the China Scholarship Council.
For details on funding available for the CSC PhD scholarship program, post-doctoral fellows or visiting scholars, please see the China Scholarship Council - Deakin University Joint Funding Program website.
For more information about this scholarship, please email International Research Training within the Graduate Research Academy.