Geelong Waurn Ponds Campus
The research is in the broad area of circular economy/industrial ecology and would aim to develop methodology and tools and study their application:
- To conduct integrated/holistic assessments to evaluate alternative strategies leading to sustainability (e.g. alternative materials, business models, processes and supply chains
- To link resource recovery to product design parameters and evaluate alternative approaches to product design
The project aims to study how effectiveness of product solutions could be measured based on their contribution to appropriate circulation of materials. A waste generated from a production process signals a problem, not only considering its treatment but also to consider whether its generation could be avoided. In questioning whether products and by-products are recycled effectively to the correct material cycles, it is also important to question the effectiveness of the design and the manufacturing processes of a product on their effectiveness.
The research explores to what level the design, development, production and recycling are aligned to facilitate circularity/closed-loop circulation of materials using case studies and develops methodology, tools and indicators to analyse those.
Applications close 5pm, Thursday 28th February 2019.
This scholarship is available over 3 years.
- Stipend of $27,596 per annum tax exempt (2019 rate)
To be eligible you must:
- be a domestic candidate (domestic includes candidates with Australian Citizenship, Australian Permanent Residency or New Zealand Citizenship).
- meet Deakin's PhD entry requirements
- be enrolling full time and hold an honours degree (first class) or an equivalent standard master's degree with a substantial research component.
Please refer to the research degree entry pathways page for further information.
Additional desirable criteria include:
- Background in environmental engineering/environmental chemistry/environmental science/chemical engineering/ process engineering with a first class honours degree or masters with a high GPA
- Any cross disciplinary knowledge exposure in economics/finance/business/accounting disciplines
- Demonstrated excellent writing skills
- Previous working experience in an industrial/corporate environment
- Previous publications demonstrating work in the area published in journals/conference papers/magazines/newspapers.
How to apply
Learn more about submitting a successful application on the How to apply page
For more information about this scholarship, please contact Dr Mayuri Wijayasundara.
Dr Mayuri Wijayasundara
Lecturer in Engineering Management
Email Mayuri Wijayasundara
+61 3 522 78266