Magnesium and its alloys have potential in the aerospace sector since they offer substantial weight reduction compared to current alloys. With current changes in legislation trending in favour of magnesium usage in various parts of aircraft, there is an increased interest in industrial developments of aerospace-grade non-flammable/ fire retardant Magnesium alloys.
The aim of the project is to develop an extrudable, bendable, high strength Magnesium alloy with suitable flammability properties while staying cost-competitive. We will carry out a detailed study on two potential alloys, one rare-earth free (AX series) and another containing low-cost rare earth elements (AE series), that possess mechanical and ignition properties comparable/superior to Elektron series alloys with an overall reduced cost.
The alloys microstructure, mechanical and ignition properties will be studied in depth using a combination of various characterization techniques already available at the Institute for Frontier Materials (IFM). Due to the novelty of this work, it has the potential to further spark interest in the development of an ignition proof aerospace-grade Magnesium alloy as well as produce several high impact publications.
Applications will remain open until a suitable candidate is found
This scholarship is available over 3 years.
- Stipend of $28,600 per annum tax exempt (2020 rate)
- Relocation allowance of $500-1500 (for single to family) for students moving from interstate or overseas
- International students only: Tuition fees offset
for the duration of 4 years. Single Overseas Student Health Cover policy for the duration of the student visa.
To be eligible you must:
- be either a domestic or international candidate currently residing in Australia (domestic includes candidates with Australian Citizenship, Australian Permanent Residency or New Zealand Citizenship)
- meet Deakin's PhD entry requirements
- be enrolling full time and hold an honours degree (first class) or an equivalent standard master's degree with a substantial research component.
Please refer to the research degree entry pathways page for further information.
How to apply
Please apply using the expression of interest form
For more information about this scholarship, please contact Dr Ramesh Kumar Varma
Dr Ramesh Kumar Varma
Associate Research Fellow, Nickel Alloys
Email Ramesh Varma
+61 3 522 73728