The candidate will work as part of a world-leading research team in the field of energy storage and materials characterisation. In this project, in operando magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) will be used to map radical ions diffusing in the electrolyte from the cathode with the final aim of understanding and preventing the premature failure of the battery.
This approach will provide insights into the dynamics, speciation and location of such radical species that would be difficult or impossible to obtain using other techniques where averaged information over the entire battery volume is attained. Advanced liquid and solid electrolytes based on ionic liquids will be targeted during this project and parameter such as electrolyte composition and structure of the ionic liquid will be studied during this project. 1H, 19F and 23Na MRI images will be obtained from the electrolytes, providing spatial and time-resolved information that will be correlated with device performance/failure.
Applications close 5pm, Friday 30 August 2019.
This scholarship is available over 3 years.
- Stipend of $27,596 per annum tax exempt (2019 rate)
- Relocation allowance of $500-1500 (for single to family) for students moving from interstate or overseas
- International students only: Tuition fee and overseas health coverage for the duration of 4 years
To be eligible you must:
- be either a domestic or international candidate
- meet Deakin's PhD entry requirements
- be enrolling full time and hold an honours degree (first class) or an equivalent standard master's degree with a substantial research component.
Please refer to the research degree entry pathways page for further information.
Additional desirable criteria include:
- Experience in NMR or MRI.
- Degree in physical science with a sound knowledge of electrochemistry and physics.
How to apply
Please apply using the expression of interest form
For more information about this scholarship, please contact Dr Cristina Pozo-Gonzalo.
Dr Cristina Pozo-Gonzalo
Senior Research Fellow (Electromaterials)
Email Cristina Pozo-Gonzalo
+61 3 924 46634