Melbourne Burwood Campus
With the emergence of internet of things (IoT) and artificial intelligence (AI) systems, software and systems engineering practices, in particular the requirements engineering practices, have changed substantially in the past decade. The requirements elicitation and specification need to account for the concomitant uncertainty and lack of visibility in the inner workings of these systems. The research project is targeted at building an understanding of the state-of-the-practice in requirements engineering (RE) for artificial intelligence (AI) systems and propose changes.
The PhD project will investigate the requirements engineering (RE) practices in artificial intelligence (AI) projects. The candidate will research on the current industrial practices and the challenges faced by the practitioners, when defining and building predictive components for software and systems engineering. The project would further develop human-in-the-loop techniques and tools for effective requirements elicitation, specification and management. The enabling technologies for this project will be natural language processing and machine learning.
Applications close 5pm, Monday 31 August 2020
This scholarship is available over 3 years.
- Stipend of $28,092 per annum tax exempt (2020 rate)
- Relocation allowance of $500-1500 (for single to family) for students moving from interstate or overseas
To be eligible you must:
- be a domestic candidate (domestic includes candidates with Australian Citizenship, Australian Permanent Residency or New Zealand Citizenship).
- meet Deakin's PhD entry requirements
- be enrolling full time and hold an honours degree (first class) or an equivalent standard master's degree with a substantial research component.
Please refer to the research degree entry pathways page for further information.
Additional desirable criteria include:
- Expertise in Machine Learning and Natural Language Processing
- Working understanding of requirements engineering practices
- Excellent technical English writing skills
- Industry experience
- Prior research publications
How to apply
Please apply using the expression of interest form
For more information about this scholarship, please contact Dr Chetan Arora
Dr Chetan Arora
Email Chetan Arora
+61 3 9244 5669