Deakin University recognises that women remain under-represented in Science, Technology, Engineering, Architecture and Maths (STEAM) – including our Higher Degrees by Research (HDR) cohort and in our academic staff. Deakin is committed to Gender equity, diversity and inclusion, and is an active participant in the SAGE Athena SWAN program. We have made major strides in improving diversity in our school and faculty leadership team, and we are now focusing on gender equity in our female students.
To help promote long term change, we are offering a scholarship to support a female PhD student to work on a research project within the Faculty of Science, Engineering & Built Environment (SEBE). The academic supervisory team must be approved by the Faculty and include at least one female academic supervisor.
The Faculty of Science, Engineering and Built Environment (SEBE) operates across 4 campuses (Burwood - Melbourne, Geelong Waterfront, Geelong Waurn Ponds and Warrnambool) and two research stations (Queenscliff, VIC and Griffith, NSW). SEBE consists of four schools, each with a multi-discipline mix of teaching and research offerings and a strong emphasis on research excellence that informs our teaching programs:
- Science: School of Life and Environmental Sciences (Biological Science, Biomedical Science, Biotechnology, Fisheries and Aquaculture, Forensic Science, Environmental Management and Sustainability, Marine Biology, Sustainable Regional Development, Wildlife and Conservation Biology, Zoology and Animal Science) including the Centre for Regional and Rural Futures (CeRRF) and the Centre for Integrative Ecology (CIE).
- Technology: School of Information Technology (Computer Science, Creative Technologies, Cyber Security, Data Science, Software Engineering, Virtual Reality, Mathematics) including the Centre for Cyber Security Research and Innovation (CSRI).
- Engineering: School of Engineering (Civil, Electrical and Renewable Energy, Engineering Management, Environmental Engineering, Mechanical, Mechatronics, and Mechanical Design);
- Architecture: School of Architecture and Built Environment (Architecture, Construction Management);
- Mathematics: modelling of any description in any of the above schools as appropriate for the project.
Applications close 5pm, Thursday 31 October 2019
This scholarship is available over 3 years.
- Stipend of $27,596 per annum tax exempt (2019 rate)
- Relocation allowance of $500-1500 (for single to family) for students moving from interstate or overseas
- International students only: Tuition fee and overseas health coverage for the duration of 4 years
To be eligible you must:
- be either a domestic or international candidate
- meet Deakin's PhD entry requirements
- be enrolling full time and hold an honours degree (first class) or an equivalent standard master's degree with a substantial research component
- self-identify as a women or gender diverse or non-binary
- the proposed supervisory team must comprise at least one female supervisor
Please refer to the research degree entry pathways page for further information.
How to apply
Please apply using the expression of interest form
For more information about this scholarship, please contact the Faculty of Science, Engineering & Built Environment
Faculty of Science, Engineering & Built Environment