Deakin University recognises that women remain under-represented in Science, Technology, Engineering, Architecture and Maths (STEAM) – including our Higher Degrees by Research (HDR) and academic cohorts. Deakin is committed to Gender equity, diversity and inclusion, and is an active participant in the SAGE Athena SWAN program.
To help promote long term change, we are offering multiple Women in STEAM PhD scholarships to support females who are seeking the opportunity to study a PhD and work on a research project supervised by at least one female academic.
The Faculty of Science, Engineering and Built Environment (SEBE) operates across 4 campuses (Burwood - Melbourne, Geelong Waterfront, Geelong Waurn Ponds and Warrnambool) and two research stations (Queenscliff, VIC and Griffith, NSW). The Faculty consists of four schools, each with a multi-discipline mix of teaching and research offerings and a strong emphasis on research excellence that informs our teaching programs:
- Science: School of Life and Environmental Sciences (Biological Science, Biomedical Science, Biotechnology, Fisheries and Aquaculture, Forensic Science, Environmental Management and Sustainability, Marine Biology, Sustainable Regional Development, Wildlife and Conservation Biology, Zoology and Animal Science) including the Centre for Regional and Rural Futures (CeRRF) and the Centre for Integrative Ecology (CIE).
- Technology: School of Information Technology (Computer Science, Creative Technologies, Cyber Security, Data Science, Software Engineering, Virtual Reality, Mathematics) including the Centre for Cyber Security Research and Innovation (CSRI).
- Engineering: School of Engineering (Civil, Electrical and Renewable Energy, Engineering Management, Environmental Engineering, Mechanical, Mechatronics, and Mechanical Design);
- Architecture: School of Architecture and Built Environment (Architecture, Construction Management);
- Mathematics: modelling of any description in any of the above schools as appropriate for the project.
Applications close 5pm, Wednesday 31 March 2021
This scholarship is available over 3 years.
- Stipend of $28,600 per annum tax exempt (2021 rate)
- Relocation allowance of $500-1500 (for single to family) for students moving from interstate or overseas
- International students only: Tuition fee and overseas health coverage for the duration of 4 years
To be eligible you must:
- be either a domestic or international candidate currently residing in Australia
- meet Deakin's PhD entry requirements
- be enrolling full time and hold an honours degree (first class) or an equivalent standard master's degree with a substantial research component
- self-identify as a women or gender diverse or non-binary
- the proposed supervisory team must comprise at least one female supervisor
This is a competitive scheme, and applicants will be assessed based on academic merit and research potential, on strategic merit and alignment with the Faculty research directions of the proposed project and on the supervisory team.
Please refer to the research degree entry pathways page for further information.
How to apply
Please apply using the expression of interest form and return the completed form to email@example.com Ensure you have contacted and received a response from a potential Deakin Supervisor befor submitting your EOI.
For more information about this scholarship, please contact Dr Lisa Dias or Ms Vicky Koo
Dr. Lisa Dias
Manager Research and Innovation (Faculty of Sci Eng & Built Env (SEBE))
Email Lisa Dias
+61 3 924 45972
Ms. Vicky Koo
Coordinator, HDR Support (Faculty of Sci Eng & Built Env (SEBE))
Email Vicky Koo
+61 3 924 68464