Applications for Trimester 1 2020 open 28 August 2019.
Applications for Trimester 1 2020 close 22 January 2020 5pm.
Cash payment up to $7000 per year for full time* study.
This scholarship is available for three or four years (dependent on course duration).
*If you are enrolled in a part time course load the payment amount will be prorated based on the number of credit points you study.
Prospective candidates should ensure they meet all criteria before submitting their application.
To be eligible you must be:
- a domestic student
- commencing a bachelor's degree at Deakin University in Trimester 1 2020
- enrolled either full time in a Commonwealth supported place
- living in a Victorian rural or regional home location, or be relocating from a Victorian rural or regional home location
- able to demonstrate financial hardship, either that you receive a means-tested Centrelink benefit or have a personal or combined family taxable income below $56 000, depending on independence status.
As a scholarship recipient you must:
- maintain a minimum Weighted Average Mark (WAM ) of 60
- complete a yearly impact statement for the duration of the scholarship
- provide an introductory statement about their study goals and what it means to receive the scholarship.
As part of the application process, you may also be required to upload current supporting documentation.
When you apply for this scholarship, you'll need to supply evidence of your financial hardship.
Make sure you choose the correct document type when you upload your documents as it will make a difference. If your documents are uploaded into the incorrect type they will not be considered when assessing your application. Remember it is quality, not quantity, which you need to provide. Aim to provide documents which are current, relevant and concise.
Applying for a scholarship isn’t just about meeting the eligibility criteria.
It’s a good idea to think about why you want a scholarship, how it will help you and what you have to offer the Deakin community.
How to apply
Apply through VTAC
If you’re applying to study at Deakin through VTAC and you complete a VTAC scholarship application, you’ll automatically be considered for this scholarship.
Apply directly to Deakin
If you are a commencing student who has deferred a previous year's course offer you can apply for this scholarship directly through our Course and Scholarship Applicant Portal.
What happens next?
Your application will be assessed and ranked based on the details you provide.
You'll find out if you were successful usually within six weeks of the application closing date. You can view the status of your application via your Course and Scholarship Applicant Portal account.
About the donor
This scholarship is generously supported by the Helen Macpherson Smith Trust.